Frozen to Death

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of blood, burns, and major character death (but whom?)

THEMES: Angst!!!, TodoBakuKiri, TodoMomo as BFFs, Dadzawa, semi-decent Endeavour IG

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Kids get out of there now!" Aizawa's shouting screeched through the half-broken communicators. "The building is going to collapse!"

Just as he spoke three giant metal beams from the broken infrastructure fell down. The sound made the students grab their heads whilst the ones closest to the impact were flung backwards. Shoto forced his eyes open to locate his classmates through the haze of dust and debris smothering everything around them.

To his right he could see a fumbling Tokoyami, Dark Shadow trying to get his familiar to calm down, and far on his left Momo was pulling an unconscious Uraraka from a sheltered corner. But it was what he saw when he looked up that made him gulp. From the twenty story building he could see the sky, littered in shining stars. It was collapsing from the top and floor by floor civilians needed to be evacuated.

The class had already managed the top ten floors but if the building continued to shatter at this rate then there would be many lives lost. They had already evacuated ten buildings in the surrounding areas, and everyone was beginning to feel the effects from the earthquake a new villain had produced. The ground did not stop shaking and this nightmare felt like it would never end.

From helping stabilise so many buildings, Todoroki help back his winces from the frostbite seeping up his right arm and spreading out on his cheek. His fire was still ready to go as there weren't many villains to detain and much of the infrastructure wouldn't decay from the flames.

Once more looking around he felt his heartbeat rise, thinking that this may be it. Half of his class crushed to death under the monstrous building. He wouldn't let that happen: too many lives, friends and innocents, were at stake.

Partly stumbling to where he was standing right beneath the hole in the roof, he used his ice power to create a sharp flow of air throughout the ground floor, allowing his classmates to see each other and to continue to evacuate the civilians. He thought he could hear a few of them saying thankyou but he was too focused on his task.

He knew he had to create something strong enough to hold up the building to get everyone out, but it had to be intricate enough to fit into every loose crack in the walls. Scanning his environment, he summoned as much power as he could and released it upwards from the ground in one large sweep. He grit his teeth as he pushed it up to around the twelfth floor then created a cave-like formation with it, defending everyone below from any more falling metal or cement.

"Get everyone out from up there!" Shoto instructed with a shout as he warmed himself up to reduce the rate of his frostbite. "Quickly!"

Up on the edge of the seventh floor he could see a giant light fixture beginning to wane on its wires, and there was an unsuspecting Deku underneath. He clenched his jaw and made more ice to cover from the seventh floor down now that everyone else was out. From the distance he could hear ambulance sirens and his teachers shouting and helping wherever they were needed. Mic had taken a nasty hit to the head from some falling glass, and was likely to lose sight in one eye, whilst Midnight had a horrid gash across her chest uncertain to heal.

Seeing everyone he cared about in so much pain gave him more strength to keep up his ice wall, and he was relieved to see almost everyone was evacuated, only his classmates left scattered around the place.

"Hey, we all need to go-!" Kaminari was cut short when a giant slab of cement came crashing down inches in front of him, blocking their way out.

Deku's quirk would cause more issues if he used it, and Bakugou had two civilians over his shoulders who would be injured if he used his quirk too. So Todoroki sent his left fist in Kaminari's direction and obliterated the cement, keeping their last remaining safe-passage open. This use of power however caused him to fall onto one knee and hold in a cry at the spike of pain throughout his chest.