A Close Call

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of blood

THEMES: angst

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The class were all chilling in their dorms during their afternoon off. Since there were some refurbishments going on in the school their classes were cancelled for that afternoon and next day. So, despite Iida trying to encourage them to study, 1A were messing about playing video games or gossiping with each other.

Except for Shoto.

Todoroki had stayed in his room ever since they returned to the dorms. He had confessed to feeling out of sorts and decided to try and get some rest, wondering if lacking in sleep was the cause of his unease. Therefore, whilst everyone was having fun downstairs, he was pacing his room whilst the ever-growing panic in his chest increased. 

Everything was fine as far as he checked: his pulse, his temperature, and he had been eating the same too. So what was making him feel this way? He had no upcoming exams in school, he was getting along well with everyone in the class, and his father had been pretty busy with hero work lately meaning some slack in that department.

Yet, as much as he tried to distract himself with a book or to try and get some rest, this worry wouldn't go away. It was as if someone had put an anxiety quirk on him, or a external force was giving him a sense of foreboding that something terrible was going to happen. Like something was coming for him.

He had only ever felt like this once: when there was growing tension between his mother and father; those feelings went away when he was in the hospital getting treated for his burn. The fear was replaced with pain, pain he did not want to repeat again. 

He took a long, deep breath in and out before heading out onto the balcony, hopefully to feel more relaxed at the change of scenery other than his four bedroom walls...

∘₊✧─── POV CHANGE ───✧₊∘

BANG!

The students all jumped in their seats, eyes wide and afraid. What the hell was that?! Immediately a few of them ran to the window yet there was nothing outside beyond the normal scenery. Iida sent a message to Aizawa asking if there was any construction nearby that they should know about, and slipped his phone away to do a headcount whilst waiting for a reply.

"Wait... where is Todoroki?"

"He said he wasn't feeling well so went to sleep." explained Midoriya. "Do you think he's in trouble?!" he asked with wide eyes as he shot up from his seat.

"Let's go check."

Iida, Midoriya, Momo, Bakugou and Kirishima all headed up the stairs to Shoto's floor, knowing it would save time having to wait for the lift. There heavy breaths mingled together as they raced up step after step, not liking the uneasy feeling in their chests mixing with the smell of smoke and burning- wait, what?

Iida was the first to reach Shoto's floor due to his quirk and when he ran out he paused in his tracks. From here he could see the door to Todoroki's room cracked on the floor; it looked like it was blasted off its hinges with all the splintered wood. Bakugou ran right past him, thinking it stupid to just stand there and not act. 

When he reached Shoto's room he could see nothing but smoke, and yet that scorched smell was tinging the air. 

"Where is Todoroki?" Deku asked as he tried to peer through all of the smoke.

"Todoroki are you there? What's going on?" Momo asked, trying to think of something to make to get through the smoke.

"Damn Icyhot what the hell?!" Bakugou yelled. "Get out here now!"