The Lost Prince Pt.4

Shoto could feel his blood rushing, his heart beating loudly against his chest as if it wished to escape. When the gate shut, this time he was on the other side, and he didn't exactly know what to do with himself. He had nothing to do, nothing to collect; instead he was going to the festival with someone who only the other day had called him beautiful.

He tried his best to act calmly, but he was conscious about his clothes and appearance. His hair surely wasn't brushed through neatly after a day of gardening, and his clothes, god they weren't even clean! Shoto had never cared about these things, but now all he could feel was the warm rush of embarrassment climbing up the nape of his neck. He took a slow breath in and out as he brushed his clothes down, at least trying to remove any creases. 

Did he look okay? What did people even wear to festivals? Bakugou's clothes looked so well-fitted and soft to touch, he clearly hadn't spent his day gardening. 

"You look beautiful tonight, Shoto." Bakugou interrupted his thoughts, making Shoto's breath hitch.

He looked over to the man, only to find him looking ahead with a smile tugging the corners of his lips. His blond hair glowed in the moonlight, his skin was tanned and clear, if anything he was the beautiful one. This led to a second blush, unused to such thoughts.

"Thank you." he replied quietly. "You look, um... you look good. Too."

"Thanks." Bakugou chuckled a laugh, offering a hand when they reached the entrance to the orchard and the festival was bursting to life in front of them.

Shoto was stunned at the onslaught of sounds and sights. There were colourful banners hung everywhere, a rainbow between the many houses. There were lamps hanging on string, and people nearby were letting them float away into the air like little stars. People were walking left and right, children scurrying between their legs as they flitted from one attraction to another. The women were in their finest skirts and men in their best shirts, boots cleanly polished. 

It was all rather overwhelming so he accepted Bakugou's hand graciously, letting the man lead him into the crowd. They soon blended in with the masses, and Shoto followed Bakugou's lead seeing the man had a destination in mind.

"Are you hungry?" Bakugou asked him, turning to catch his response better amongst the loud noise around them.

"A little." 

He was in fact very hungry, having missed his usual sandwich for lunch as he was busy grooming Ash. And since he hadn't finished his chores for the day he didn't make himself any dinner, meaning now the smell of food coming from a large building a few steps away was causing his stomach to growl; thankfully it was masked by the crowds.

"Do you wish to go inside? Or shall I bring some out?" 

Shoto told him that he would wait outside, sitting at an empty table nearby that was hidden by a large banner. He saw a sign that he assumed said village hall, his limited knowledge of reading labels on food and herbs helping him put together the letters. He didn't want to risk going inside, knowing his father may be there alongside the other butchers if it was food that was on display. 

Whilst waiting he looked around at the stalls nearby, noticing many were selling small cakes and treats, such as colourful rock on sticks and pink cotton that swirled to life in a woman's hand. He hadn't realised he was staring, but he shyly returned the smile the woman offered him, freezing as she approached.

"Hello young man." she greeted.

"Hello."

"Are you enjoying the festival?"

"Oh yes, it's wonderful. Thank you."

"Here," she held out a bag of the pink fluff with a smile, "you enjoy this. It's on me."