A Pirate's Life for Me

TRIGGER WARNING: blood, violence

THEMES: Angst, Fantasy AU, slight TodoBaku

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Shoto was currently on his father's favourite ship The Endeavour, on a voyage to the Yaoyorozu kingdom. He was to be wed to her in six weeks despite never having met her in his life. He quite frankly didn't know a single thing about romance or courtship, but he hoped there would be mutual understanding about the arranged marriage, and maybe Miss Momo Yaoyorozu and himself would become good friends. 

He had been on the god forsaken ship for a month, only having docked twice at neighbouring cities to gather supplies for both the ship and the crew. The days were just as repetitive on the ship as they were when he was locked in the castle, for when he spent everyday studying and training, on the ship all he could do was watch the ocean or re-read his limited books. The Captain, an experienced knight named Tensei Iida had ordered that the Prince should not have to lift a finger of work, meaning when he could be learning valuable practical skills he was stuck in his quarters looking over maps of places he could only dream of seeing himself one day.

They would reach the Yaoyorozu kingdom in four more days, where they would rest at an Inn before making their way to the castle where he would meet his future in-laws for the first time. He wasn't a stranger to meeting new people, his father watched him like a hawk to ensure he established good relationships with nobles and politicians during meetings or balls, but it was quite different when these people would soon be his family. From having a dysfunctional family to one full of strangers, Shoto really wasn't lucky in that department. 

His mother had been sickly ever since marrying his father, meaning she had left the castle and retired to a private cottage near the forest; she had maids to help her but her sickness grew all-consuming until she passed in her sleep when Shoto was eleven. His eldest brother Touya ran away when he was twelve, and there had been no sightings of him since meaning Shoto didn't even know if he was alive.

His second oldest brother Natsuo had never been in their father's eye, seen as a disappointment in both regality and training, meaning he was left to his own devices. Sometimes Shoto saw him in the garden reading, surrounded by the white roses his mother used to love, or sometimes he would sneak off into town at night, but Shoto often went without seeing him for weeks. His older sister Fuyumi was the only constant in his life: they saw each other at dinner and in the library, and they would always take a walk around the gardens at least once a week when Shoto was allowed to recover from training. Their time together was always short, but it was a comfort that Fuyumi was still present in his life and wanted to be a part of it. 

His father, King Enji, unfortunately saw far too much off. He was a power-hungry man who took over vast amounts of land the moment he was crowned King of the Todoroki kingdom. From overtaking small tribes to entire villages, everyday more and more people were being forced under his rule. Including him.

When Shoto was born and Enji saw the duality of red and white, of blue and grey, in his appearance, he was crowned the Crown Prince of the kingdom. From the day he spoke his first words he was being given lessons on speech and writing. From the day he took his first steps he was taught how to hold swords twice his size. He was trained to be the next king, to have the wit of a politician, the strength of a knight, and the wisdom of a King. He was moulded into his father's masterpiece, and each day he lost some of himself.

Shoto couldn't remember the last time he exercised his free will. He had tailors decide what he wore, a personal chef to cook his every meal according to his father's requests, he had a schedule so full that the only time he could rest was when he was asleep. Even this marriage was out of his control, his future being entwined with Miss Momo's as soon as he turned 13.