You Killed Her!

TRIGGER WARNING: death, mentions of abuse

THEMES: Angst, Shoto X Class A, platonic TodoBakuDeku

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

It was a normal day for Shoto. He woke up, dressed and had breakfast, and attended all of his morning classes with his classmates. It was the same usual routine of hard work, all in hopes of him becoming a good hero in the future. 

It was a normal day, apart from the swirling anxiety in his gut that said it wasn't. Or, at least, wouldn't be for long. 

His attention wavered in class, fingers tapping against his desk as he watched the clouds float slowly in the sky. He didn't finish his lunch, shocking his friends, as he was too lost in his thoughts trying to figure out what he perhaps forgot or if something important was coming up. Yet nothing crossed his mind. 

He tried to pass it off as his regular anxiety that cropped up once in a while, usually before a big test or if he was heading home for the weekend. Anxiety that left him quiet and nervous, sometimes with shaky hands and a tight chest. But this anxiety was nothing but a sickness in his stomach, and he didn't know how to make it go away.

The bell rang to signal the end of lunch, and the class made their way back to the classroom for their maths lesson, their final lesson before practical training began. Shoto tried his best to focus in maths, it was a subject he was rather good at after all, but he kept mixing up his addition and multiplication symbols, meaning as he looked through his answers only four of them showed up correct on the board. 

His frustration did nothing to ease his worry, and he brushed a hand through his hair as he leaned back in his chair, inhaling a shaky breath. He looked over to the clock that was hung over the doorway and saw that there were only 15 minutes left of the lesson until their practical training. 15 minutes until he could focus on the cold thrill of his ice and the heatwaves of his fire, over the building tension inside him. He didn't listen to what their Sensei was saying, too focused on watching each tick of the clock handle.

12 minutes...

10 minutes...

8 minutes...

BUZZ!

Thankfully, Shoto's phone was on vibrate so only his classmates closest to him heard it go off. He bent down to slide it out of his bag when their Sensei was facing the board, and frowned when he saw his brother's contact. It was still school hours, so his brother should be in a lecture not calling him. Was something wrong? 

His gut clenched, and he raised his hand to get his Sensei's attention.

"Yes, Todoroki?"

"May I be excused, my father is calling." he lied, knowing they were more likely to give permission if they thought the number 1 pro hero was calling him.

"Alright, but hurry up."

"Yes Sensei."

Shoto was quickly up out of his seat and out through the back door of the classroom. He pulled it shut behind him, but with a little too much force, for it slid back open enough for him to be visible across the corridor.

"Hey." he greeted quietly, brows furrowed. "Is something the matter?"

There was no response from Natsuo, only quick breaths that hitched. Was he... crying?

"Natsu-nii?"

"Shoto..." Natsuo finally spoke, his voice hoarse and cracked. "Fuyumi... Fumi, she... dad-"

"What did he do?" he asked, fist clenching at his side.

"He-" Shoto heard Natsuo take a deep breath before breaking down with a cry, "he killed her."