King of Hearts Pt.1

TRIGGER WARNING: blood, gore, death

THEMES: Angst, horror, Alice in Borderland AU

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The buzzing of his alarm clock stirred Shoto from his sleep. He counted to five in his head, smiling when he felt the new weight on his chest, paws padding as purrs resonated around the room. Blinking his sleepy eyes open, he saw his cat Soba padding his chest, moving closer to lick at his nose as her greeting.

"Good morning Soba." he greeted, voice rough from sleep. "Let's have breakfast, okay?"

Soba meowed, her hello in cat language, and jumped off his bed to trod towards the kitchen, tail swishing happily as she waited for her food. Shoto yawned and stretched his arms up, chuckling when he heard another meow from the kitchen. Soba was adorable, always up to watch TV or nap, but she was just like her owner when it came to food.

"I'm coming, I'm coming."

He pushed himself out of bed, feet sliding into slippers whilst pulling on a hoodie before heading into the kitchen. He turned on the electric kettle to brew some coffee whilst getting out Soba's food. Bowls filled with water and biscuits, Shoto made some coffee before returning to his bedroom to get ready for work. Coffee downed, face washed, teeth and hair brushed, hero suit on; he indulged Soba with some pets and rubs before heading out to work.

Today was an early start, meaning he was driving to his agency at the bright and early time of 7AM. Shoto preferred the afternoon patrols, meaning he could wander the streets 'til dusk and deal with the more exciting crimes before nightfall. But since he had opened his own agency, he had to be there bright and early to manage his heroes and sidekicks as well as be present for any PR meetings with his HR team.

The streets were empty, and his tired brain put it down to it being so early in the morning. But this was Japan, and he lived just out from central Tokyo, so it really shouldn't be this quiet. It shouldn't be this empty. There wasn't only two or three people on the streets but nobody at all, and as he grew more awake he noticed the eerie quietness of the air and the lack of traffic in the distance. 

He reached his agency and stopped his car, looking around with a frown at the deserted city. He should see other heroes by now, especially his old classmates since many of them moved to Tokyo and around that area because firstly, they were the Hell Class and were capable of dealing with any big crimes, and secondly, it was a nice change to escape from their old hometown where many bad memories were held. 

He took his phone from his pocket and found it had no signal. Now that was very weird since he had remembered to charge it the night before and paid the highest deal for the best quality service. Putting his phone away he went into his agency, scouting out every floor and looking out of the windows for signs of life.

Nothing. Nobody.

Panic began to settle in, the panic that left his heart pounding and chest tight, making him want to curl up in the corner of the room and imagine himself far away. In his time at UA he discovered he suffered from panic attacks, his periods of extreme fear and anxiety finally being labelled when Deku said he saw a therapist to help with his own attacks. He visited a therapist himself in second year when his father gave in and Aizawa highly recommended it; they stayed in contact to this day, the therapist promising to be available should he need to call or make a visit in person.

This panic was something he could deal with, but the silence around him wasn't. He hated the quiet, never knowing what being would appear next to hurt him: his father, villains...

Shoto ran out of his agency, beginning to scout the streets for signs of life. It was as if everyone had just vanished and he was the only person left in the world. Cars were abandoned in the streets, some with doors partly open; there were shopping bags on the ground and flickering street lights overhead. He practised his breathing exercises as he ran through the streets, but even that couldn't lessen his panic as the more he ran the more helpless he felt.