The Lost Prince Pt.1

TRIGGER WARNING: abuse, mentions of kidnapping

THEMES: Angst, fluff, TodoBaku, Fantasy AU

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

In the quaint little town of a quaint little village lived a young boy named Shoto Otsuka. He lived in a two-floored, thatched roof house with his mother, father, and two older siblings: one brother and one sister. Shoto was a quiet boy, always kind and respectful to others even if they didn't deserve it, and he was well-favoured amongst his few, yet close, friends.

Shoto lived in the town of Usaki, a small walk away from the capital city of Musutafu. He had never been to the capital, his father strictly forbade it, but he often wondered what it would be like there. The types of people bustling about to and fro from homes and work, streets piled with food stalls and vendors selling jewellery and clothing. Parties every night as the rich nobles of the surrounding kingdoms come to share in the festivities. Musutafu was rumoured to be the most powerful nation in all of Yueii, so Shoto knew even his imagination could not comprehend how wonderful it must be.

Instead, Shoto was content with his quiet life in his quiet village. He woke up with the sunrise and went out to the family's small farm beyond their garden to feed the goats and the chickens, stopping by to collect any laid eggs. Then he would water the plants and collect any herbs or flowers that could be used in the day's cooking, before returning and beginning breakfast.

By the time his father woke up to head to work at the local butcher's, Shoto made sure his breakfast was set out on the table alongside a cup of tea. He received no thanks from his father, he didn't expect any either, he was simply doing his duties as a good son.

When his father left for work, his mother and elder siblings would wake up demanding breakfast too. He worked swiftly and dutifully around the kitchen until all 3 of them were satisfied, his mother heading out to her ladies' club in the village hall and his siblings went to school. Shoto was not allowed to go to school, so he was always eavesdropping on his siblings whenever they did their homework, wondering what words like multiplication or physics meant.

(This often led to punishment from his father for being so curious. Shoto's responsibilities were to take care of the house and the land, yet his curiosity was never sated by the mundane tasks. He did love taking care of the animals and watching over the flowers and roots in the garden; he felt pride over a perfectly clean room and satisfying meals. But his mind often wandered to things such as school and work and the capital city looming over with its giant castle in the distance. If his father ever saw he was distracted from his duties it was ten whacks of the cane and a night in the cellar with no food.)

When all of his family had left the home it was time for Shoto to have his own breakfast. Usually it was something small, his father instructed him to never over-eat so he could complete his tasks properly, so he had toast with jam or porridge with some berries from the garden. After breakfast he washed and dressed before grabbing his cleaning supplies and heading into the living room.

Shoto cleaned the same rooms in the same order meticulously every day: the living room, the small parlour, the dining room, the bathroom, his parents' bedroom, his siblings' bedroom. Then he tidied the kitchen and washed all of the breakfast dishes before heading outside once again. He would spend the rest of the day in the garden, pruning plants and watering herbs. He would clean the animals' homes and then the stable for his father's horse.

Ash was a dark brown horse, a tall and strong mare, and Shoto was particularly fond of him. His father rarely used him except for making trips to see his brother who lived- Shoto didn't know where. That meant Shoto spent time with Ash in the afternoons heading to the apple orchard hidden behind their farm on the outskirts of the forest. Nobody else was ever there, so he never feared being caught, and he gave Ash a ripe green apple before bundling up some for snacks or dessert later and riding back to the house.