"May the odds be ever in your favour!"

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of death

THEMES: BakuTodo, Hunger Games AU

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

With a wave of a perfectly manicured hand, the Capitol TV anthem was switched off, leaving the room to wallow in a tense silence. Children's cries and parents' wails echoing even as he drifted off to sleep...

"If you can hide out until day 5 then you have a statistically higher chance of winning. It's 70% likely there will be some sort of water source, so that should be your first priority, and 54% rucksacks closest to the pedestals have had a small knife and cantine in the past six years. And-"

"Shut up Deku! It'll be fine!" 

"But Kaachan, this is serious! It's not play pretend anymore!"

Bakugou looked at the teary, wide green eyes looking up at him, imploring him to listen for once in his life. For what could possibly be the last time in his fucking life. He scowled, turning to look out the window of the town hall, looking at the many families embracing the fact they get to have their children for another year. His mother had already yelled at him, telling him to not waste his hard work building up his body and strength, and to listen to Deku's advice. He'll pretend he didn't see her walking away crying, probably to visit his dad's grave.

He clenched his fists until the knuckles turned white, yet was unable to hide the shaking that had occurred from the moment his name was called.

"Kaachan," Deku whispered brokenly, "please be careful."

"You damn nerd. I'm not planning on going anywhere. I'm number one, remember?!"

Deku gave a weak chuckle before smothering Bakugou in a hug he couldn't escape even if he wanted to. Which, for the first time in a long fucking while, he didn't want to. He knew his and Deku's relationship had been rocky these recent years, but he was grateful for the one constant in his life that didn't yell and complain even if it came from a place of love.

"Plus ultra and all that shit, right?" Bakugou huffed, recalling the old superhero cartoon book they had managed to find in the Seam, some remnant of time before the dark days. 

A knock on the door brought reality crashing down on them once more. If Bakugou was a shade paler then Izuku didn't say anything, just gave Bakugou another hug before he was led out of the town hall and towards the train station, starting his journey to the end of the line. He just didn't know how close that end would be...

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"And finally, the male tribute from District 12... Bakugou Katsuki. Won't you come on u-"

Sharp, cat-like eyes blinked slowly, thoughts deep and dangerous as he finished watching the Reaping for the 3rd time. So many possibilities, he would have to do some planning. 

"Bring me my writing tools." he spoke, eyes not looking over to the tongue-less Avox standing inanimately in the corner of the room. "And I want to speak to Yamada."

The Avox bowed before exiting the room, leaving him to exist in the silence once more...

Bakugou wanted to rip his stylists' head off. What was he thinking setting him on goddamn fucking fire?! Well, it wasn't real fire, but it was still fucking scary. Did the horrid gaudy-haired man not realise how many people in his district died in the mines from small fucking flames?! Stupid Capitol bastard!

He couldn't care less that the guards were sending him cautious looks, ready to step in if he exploded. That only happened once, when his mentor had surprised him from the back and he had accidentally punched her. He wasn't punished, thankfully, but it was fucking annoying having to be escorted by two guards to his fancy ass room in the Training Centre.