Come Home to Me

TRIGGER WARNING: blood, wound description, domestic violence, character death

THEMES: Angst, Class 1A are family

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Fire was the only thing Shoto could see. Flickering blue flames clouding, cornering and blinding his vision, so dense and consuming they felt like a choking grip in his throat. Unshed tears were brimming on his waterline as his head flung from one building to another, looking, hoping praying. 

A new flame caught his eye from far away on his left, exploding glass from a top floor window falling down on them like piercing rain. Shoto looked up at the building, and down to the exit that was billowing with smoking flames. 

"Shoto! I need help over here!" Midoriya yelled, and he ran over to help two civilians over to the ambulances, careful of broken limbs or open wounds; yet, even when he was answering questions about the injuries and incident, his gaze kept returning to the window.

"Shoto! The flames won't stop!"

With calculated precision he sent up a wave of ice, giving the firefighters enough time to zone off the area and prepare their equipment. People were running to and fro, shouts and screams filling the smoking air. This had all happened out of nowhere, they were out on a patrol run as a class when all of a sudden there was a League attack right in their area.

Dabi. He hadn't seen Dabi. He saw Toga jumping down into an open sewer, a hero hot on her tail, and Shigaraki had been warped away by Kurogiri, Spinner was still fighting with Twice, but they were also on the run, but Dabi he hadn't seen since he sent his tsunami wave of blue fire at his classmates, his ice able to protect them but not the surrounding area.

In the chaos Dabi was all he could think of. When he helped carry injured civilians or prevent the collapse of falling buildings, or when Aizawa was calling them in for recon. Shoto wasn't paying attention to anything the Hero was saying, all he could think of was how to get inside that building. He knew, he knew he was in there...

"Icyhot! Pay attention! I don't wanna have to drag your fuckin' ass out-! Icyhot?!"

Shoto gave his classmates a desperate look before running off and away, towards the building that was starting to char and collapse at the roof.

"Shoto!" He heard Aizawa yell, and the faint sound of him whirling his Capture Scarf, but the exit was in sight and he sent a wave of freezing ice at it, the space clearing into an icy wasteland as he ran in. The first floor had desks and chairs scattered across the floor, light fixtures dangling by their wires. The reception computer made a constant whirring noise that put his nerves on edge. Looking at a singed sign he saw there were 30 floors in the building, so he took in a deep breath before sprinting up the stairs.

"Touya!" He yelled, voice scratchy from smoke inhalation.

He sent out ice as he ran up, not wanting more damage to occur than possible. With each crystal of ice came a gust of fresh wind, pushing smoke and ash out of the windows on each floor. 

"Touya!" He yelled again, straining to hear over the crackling flames that destroyed everything in their path.

"Sho." The voice was faint, hoarse, unsure, and accompanied by a hacking cough, but so unmistakably Dabi.

"Where are you?!"

"Up... u-up-" Another cough, audible over the crumbling building.

He had reached the tenth floor and still no sign, so he made sure everywhere was iced over before he continued to run, his boots a heavy thud on each step as he forced blood and air through his body to keep himself going.