The King's Secret Pt.1

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of blood

THEMES: angst, fluff, Fantasy! AU, BakuTodo

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Die!"

Bakugou's teeth clenched as his sword made another clean sweep through three soldiers, dragon's teeth rattling as he broke through the Endeavorian army's lines. Mere metal was not enough to stop him nor his people, the ones who carried the spirit of Dragons in their veins.

Up ahead, he could see Kirishima circling a group of soldiers, giant wings blocking any escapes whilst creating a prison of fire from his lungs. His grin turned manic as he looked ahead, finding the castle doors just within reach. There, the ruler of the Kingdom of Endeavour was hiding, letting his weak soldiers do his bidding, having no remorse for the blood splattering the steps of his castle. Barbarian warriors died with passion and vigour, letting their fellow brothers and sisters continue to fight through their sheer determination; yet here, these people were dying in vein, for a king who didn't care for the sanctity of life and a throne that would be taken away before the sun set.

It didn't matter to Bakugou either way, this war had been simmering for years. Ever since he was a child, tensions between the two kingdoms over land, culture, and resources, meant as the new king ascended the throne war was declared on the Tribes. Enji Todoroki, he would be dead at his mother's feet soon enough.

Mitsuki Bakugou was leading a troupe of their most brave and strong soldiers, each wielding their weapons forged from Dragon's flame and gleaming with the spirits of their fallen brethren. Her golden hair cut short - a symbol of war - and grin just as mad as her son's as she tore down the castle's doors. 

Slashing through the few soldiers scattered around him, those with the surprising ability to still stand, he too joined his mother in the castle's hall, sneering at the grand displays of wealth, at the wasteful use of money when their outer villages were starving and suffering at the hands of poverty. The Barbarians were proud people, but used their wealth to help their communities thrive and grow, not to create an hierarchy of power in which wealth was used as decoration, like the stupid golden portrait frames that hung loomingly along the walls.

"Katsuki!" his mother began as they paced the hallways to where they knew the grand hall was, having scoured years worth of floor plans of the Endeavorian castle.

"What, hag!" Bakugou said with bite, muscled chest heaving as the thrill of battle rushed through him.

"Don't talk to me like that you brat!" Mitsuki growled back before focusing her eyes back to the front. "I want you to search the castle. See if anymore of those Endeavorian brats are still here."

When King Enji Todoroki had sent the Bakugous - leader family of the Barbarians - a decree for war, they had wasted no time in accepting, not without promising total annihilation of those in positions of power. The weaker people, the commoners or merchants, would be spared, knowing all too well that the people in the kingdom weren't treated any better than slaves in ancient times. After getting an acceptance, the children of the king had fled in hopes of escaping the battle.

The eldest, Touya Todoroki, was the one they had no reason to worry about. They had heard all about how he had refused his right to the throne and had left behind his heritage to join the Winged people of the East. The second oldest son, Natsuo Todoroki, was one with ambiguous loyalties. He was always travelling, making policies between the outer kingdoms and Endeavour in hopes of increasing trade and resources for the kingdom; yet, there were also rumours of him being promiscuous and enjoying the company of the immoral. The only daughter, Fuyumi Todoroki, was very loyal to her father, and this seemed to only increase with the passing of their mother, Rei Todoroki, whose death is as mysterious as the supposed treasure she left behind in this world.