King of Hearts Pt.2

They spent the next few days resting, sometimes doing laps around the shopping mall to maintain their fitness since their were no gyms nearby. They ate from a different store with each meal and a took turns on lookout, until it was finally the fourth day.

They set out a little later this time, since they knew there was a game spot only a few streets away that had been active the past two evenings. The night was cool so they layered up on t-shirts, hoodies and jackets before heading over to the game.

The location was a giant apartment complex, set out in two perpendicular rows. Several stories up, suggesting that it would be a physical game. They were hesitant to enter upon seeing many players already waiting for the game to begin, but Bakugou was confident they would still win, and told Kirishima and Shoto as such. 

"How many were in the game you played before you found me?" asked Shoto quietly, once they had picked up their phones and sat down on the stairs.

"About 11." answered Kirishima. "Old, young, office men and school girls. Whoever is in charge really doesn't seem to care for vulnerable people."

"But they haven't made us go against each other yet." added Bakugou, dreading a game where they had to decide being saving themselves or being heroes.

"I see." Shoto hummed, taking a look around the different players before looking at the countdown. "2 minutes."

Three more people showed up before the countdown ran out, the same robotic voice echoing through the area.

"Welcome to the game. This game's level is: 6 of spades. The task: find the correct door and press the buzzer to stop the clock and end the game. There are two seekers who are tasked with finding the players, if you are found then it is game over. Time for this game: 10 minutes. You all have 2 minutes to hide before the seekers come out to play. Have fun and play well."

"We need a strategy." Bakugou said, the three of them jogging up the different levels, dodging frantic players looking for a place to hide.

"The voice said that if we are caught then it's game over and we die. We need a space to be on both offense and defense."

"So up there?" Shoto asked, pointing to the penultimate level, where a small balcony space provided camouflage and yet a view of the whole complex.

"Nice one!" Kirishima clapped Todoroki's back.

Once up there they began scanning the different apartment doors, looking for a sign that revealed which door they were looking for.

"If we wait and see if there any patterns in the seekers movements, do you think we should split up to cover more ground?" Shoto suggested.

"I think it's better to stay in a group in case we have to fight the seeker. We should wait and- Duck!" Bakugou yelled, grabbing Shoto's and Kirishima's hoods and yanking them to the ground, hiding behind the balcony.

"Is the seeker here?" 

"Yeah, wearing a weird horse mask and-" the sound of gunshots interrupted the tense silence, "carrying a gun."

"We could use our quirks, I'm invincible against gunshots." Kirishima suggested.

"We had villainous enemies in the normal world and they could be here too. We should avoid using our quirks unless necessary." Shoto explained. "We don't need the added trouble."

They took turns peering over the balcony, watching and analysing the seeker's movements; another joined revealing two seekers overall, and both seemed to be staying in the middle levels.