Little Acts of Kindness Pt.2

Shoto was very smart but very oblivious. He could recall the quadratic formula off the top of his head but didn't understand dad jokes. He could create a strategy in training in minutes that would be successful, but he couldn't tell when someone was flirting with him. 

This meant that he also didn't recognise that his friends were being much more helpful and considerate towards him, doing small actions to give him comfort or help when he didn't know how to ask for it. Well, not immediately...

∘₊✧─── ONE ───✧₊∘

Todoroki is no stranger to insomnia. He usually slept 3 out of the 7 nights a week peacefully, the other 4 tossing and turning or not sleeping at all. On those nights he crept down to the kitchen, steps silent just as he was taught, and he'd grab a cup of water before sitting in front of the TV. He'd watch whatever show was on with the volume off so he didn't disturb his classmates, but that meant sometimes he was uncomfortable in the silence, wondering when someone would come out and attack him.

On one such night he was watching a random cooking show with a blond man who seemed to revel in shouting at people to the point of making them cry. It reminded him of his father, but his father didn't have such creative insults as 'you useless donkey' or 'idiot sandwich'. He was wrapped in a blanket from the back of the sofa and lying on his side, hoping his eyes would start to ache from the bright light of the TV meaning he would shut them and fall asleep. 

It had been 2 hours and so far no such luck.

It was a wonderful time of 3AM when he heard noise coming from the staircase. It was most likely Tokoyami, him being the only person awake at night like him, but he had been sleeping much better now he had been spending more time playing with and exhausting Dark Shadow throughout the day reducing the havoc at night.

He sat up and looked over the back of the sofa to see Dark Shadow coming towards him, a little thin and wispy due to being so far away from Tokoyami. He also seemed to be holding something in his hands.

"Hello Shoto!" Dark Shadow greeted with a grin, their voice barely quieter than normal.

"Hello." he greeted. "What do you have there?" he asked.

"For you! From Fumi and Kirishima!"

"Huh?"

It turned out to be a plushy that Dark Shadow was holding, a weighted one that smelled of lavender. The smell was relaxing and he sunk back into the sofa to hold it, feeling its weight on his chest. It wasn't suffocating but grounding and comforting. Then curiosity peeked him so he sat back up.

"Why did they get me this?"

"Fumi told Kirishima about how you helped him and then how you don't sleep well. Kirishima then gave him this plush because he said 'sharks are manly but sleep is super manly' and now I'm giving it to you."

"Oh," Shoto was taken aback by the kindness of his classmates, he felt a little undeserving, "I'll give it back to Kirishima in the morning."

"No!" yelled Dark Shadow, "Kirishima said it's a present to keep!"

"I see... Thankyou for bringing it Dark Shadow."

"You're welcome." Dark Shadow grinned before racing back up the stairs to tell Fumi about their success.

Shoto took a long look at the plushie, noticing its sharp teeth and fins just like a shark. But the expression was cute and it was soft to the touch. Deciding to see if it worked he put the blanket back on the sofa and turned the TV off before heading back up to his room.

It was the best sleep he'd had in his life.

∘₊✧─── TWO ───✧₊∘

Shoto's dad was an asshole, that was common knowledge. Ask any member of class 1A and they'd say that within the first five minutes of meeting the now No.1 hero Endeavour. That meant that whenever the man showed up to watch or assist in their training they were a little more than hostile.