Eighty Eight-

My eyes opened, for real this time and lights blindingly shone. Closing them again a few more times before finally adjusting to the light, I heard the constant beep of a heart monitor. Coughing slightly, I moved to sit up and looked around the room. Louis and Max were both here. One on either side of me, holding my hand and sleeping soundly. Removing my hands from theirs, Louis stirred and opened his eyes.

"Neely?" he gasped, tears forming.

"Hey," I coughed, my voice raspier than ever.

"We were worried sick about you. I'm so happy you're alive."

"I may be alive, but I'm not well. I may never be," I shrugged.

"The most important thing is that you're still here."

"What happened?" I vaguely remembered getting in the bathtub, but nothing after that.

"You were drunk and almost drowned in the bathtub. Your blood alcohol level was five times the legal limit and they had to pump your stomach."

"No wonder I'm hungry."

"Always cheeky, even when you're ill."

"I have to be," I sighed, "Keeps me from crying." We both chuckled and Max woke with a wide smile.

"Hey stranger."

"Hey," he beamed. "I'm so happy you're awake."

"Welcome to the club," Louis teased.

"I've got to go back to Paris tomorrow, but I'm here now and that's all that matters."

"I'm kind of glad you came."

"Only kind of? C'mon Neely. I'm a kick ass uncle."

"Only 84 percent of the time," I grinned.

"I'll take it." There was a knock on the door and the doctor came in with a wide smile.

"Good afternoon, Neely. How are you feeling?"

"I feel like hell, but I'm still kickin' so I can't complain."

"That's great. Your vitals are stable and we're gonna keep you here overnight just to make sure no water got lodged in your lungs and no damage was done."

"Okay," I nodded.

"Can I talk to you gentlemen out in the hallway?" she asked. I knew what that meant. There was something more that she didn't want to tell me. I'd seen it on all the crime and medical shows. When doctors asked family members outside of the room, nothing good came from it. Watching them walk out I smiled only to roll my eyes as quickly as they shut the door.

I needed my phone. I had to call Susie and see what I could do to fix this mess. See what she could do to help me. Looking at the IV in my arm, I fought against the urge to rip it out and go to the bathroom. Hanging it on the rack, I slowly stood and hobbled to the bathroom.

"Neely?" Max called.

"I'm in the bathroom. I'm fine. Just had to pee," I called back, rolling my eyes. There was no bathtub in here so I couldn't repeat my earlier actions. Flushing the toilet and washing my hands, I looked in the mirror. Dark circles were still adorned under my eyes along with smudged makeup and a smear of red lipstick on my cheek.

"Jesus," I sighed, taking a price of toilet paper and wetting it.

"You okay in there?" Louis asked with a few taps on the door.

"I'm fine, I'll be out in a minute."

"You have a visitor."

"Who is it?" In the back of my mind, I had an idea but wasn't sure. There was no way he would come to see me like this. He was probably too busy fucking Elizabeth.

"Just come out whenever you're done." His answer just confirmed my thoughts and I took my precious time trying to look a little less like death.

"You can do this," I whispered, looking at my now clean face. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and prepared myself for the worst.

"Hello," Principal Malik smiled, a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"Hi," I replied, getting back into the bed.

"I brought these and some cards from the students. They wish you the best and to get well soon."

"Thank you."

"How are you feeling? Louis said you took a nasty fall in the shower." Eyeing Louis, I smiled.

"I'm feeling a bit off. Hopefully coming back to school tomorrow. Or whenever they discharge me."

"We are all happy you're okay."

"I appreciate it." There was an awkward silence and I only hoped he realized how much I didn't want to see him.

"Well, I'll go. Get well soon," he smiled, walking toward the door.

"Thank you for coming," I replied as politely as I could.

"Bye." Sighing as the door closed behind him, I rolled my eyes and looked through the cards. They didn't really mean anything. Hundreds and hundreds of cards when I was in the hospital, but none on my birthday. What shit.

"You hungry?" Louis asked.

"A little. What time is it?"

"It's almost 4 o'clock."

"Damn. Yeah I'm hungry," I laughed, touching my stomach.

"They have a Starbucks and Chic-Fil-a downstairs. I'll go get you something."

"I'll come with. I need to get up and move around anyway." Sitting back up slowly, I felt a breeze in the back of my hospital gown.

"Do you have any of my clothes?"

"Max brought some," Louis nodded. Pulling on a t-shirt and sweatpants with his help, I only slightly yanked on my IV. As we walked toward the elevators, there was silence between us and I tried to think of something to say. Getting through the lobby, we stood in the quiet line before ordering and finding a table to sit at. Biting into my chicken nuggets, Louis let out a sigh.

"Why'd you try to do it?"

"Do what?"

"Don't play dumb."

"I thought it was the right thing," I shrugged.

"Why?"

"Why does there have to be a reason?"

"You tried to kill yourself, Neely. I want to know why," he snapped.

"You wouldn't understand."

Pulling up his shirt sleeve, he extended his arm toward me. "Oh really?"

Small scars ran along his forearm and he pulled his arm back away from me, raising an eyebrow.

"Seeing Harry with her last night. It just-" I was lost for words. There was no way to describe it.

"I would say I know how you feel, but I don't. Talk to me, love."

"I would say it was hard, but it wasn't. It was so much more than that. I don't get how you can go from loving someone one second to hurting them the next."

"Remember, love. He didn't know he was supposed to love you."

"But I loved him. I still do. That should be enough."

"I know they say love conquers all, but in this case, it's gotta be more than that," Louis sighed. I knew he was right even if what he was telling me wasn't what I wanted to hear.

"What else is left? He's back with Elizabeth and I'm stuck."

"If this curse or whatever can take you back once, there's bound to be a way you should be able to go back again. Everyone deserves a second chance and with this, you just might get one."