Thirty Two-

Harry's POV:

Watching her sleep was like looking at the night sky and seeing the moon. I got that overwhelming feeling that everything was truly going to be okay. The words previously spat from her mouth about saving her replayed in my thoughts over and over again. She claimed she didn't need saving, but I knew better. She needed to be saved and the right person to save her. Whether she liked it or not, I could see past her facade.

If I learned anything from my past relationships, everything was never what it seemed. She rolled over, curling up, her underwear stretched across her hipbone. She lazily held onto my hand, only one or two fingers lightly looped around mine. Her features had softened, eyelashes creating shadows across her cheekbones, her breathing calm, and no evidence of hurt was on her face. Only peace. How could life be so unfair to someone? I mean, I thought I had it bad at times, but it was almost as if God was testing her to see just how much she could take.

My mum always said God gives his toughest battles to his toughest soldiers, and looking at Neely, it seemed she may have been the toughest of them all. At 17, you would've thought she was 25 or 30 years old with the way she carried herself, with the surprising articulation she spoke with. She was wise beyond her years, but deep down, I knew there was still that little girl in there.

It had been three months since Neely and I had met and it had been the best three months of my life. I'd never known someone so damaged who could easily put a smile on their face and act like nothing was wrong. The Academy Award goes to Neely Cavanaugh for Best Actress in Life. She was so guarded, so aware of how people could be and how the world really worked. She knew it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. People were cruel and would step on you with a smile to get what they wanted. And she knew that. I think that's what I loved most about her.

It only took three months, but good Lord, I was in love with her.

People talk about how great love is. They say it fixes you. That it mends all your wounds. But they don't know what it's like to be in love with Neely. No book, no poem, no movie, no song could have ever prepared me for this. For her. She didn't come with a warning label, nor any sign that she'd captivate my heart so quickly. Just at the mere though of her name, a smile crept across my face. She kept me on my toes. They say good things come in small packages. Well, great things come in big packages. That was Neely. A great thing. It was odd in a way, how someone who was so tattered on the inside, seemed to have a better grip on life than most adults.

That was her. That's just the way she was. There was nothing that could prepare anyone who knew her. Nothing in the world. She was unprecedented; a force to be reckoned with. She exuded confidence, even if it was false. She knew what it was like to run with the wolves, and then be fed to them.

Thrown under the bus, she got back up and took her jacket to the dry cleaners with a smile. No matter what life threw at her, she seemed to always get back up and keep fighting. No matter how hard she was hit, she hit back three times harder. She had a soul on fire with the same life and gifts and passions as any man. But most people didn't see her that way. They saw her as a pretty face and a body to enjoy. And they told her she has to look a certain way to have any worth or influence. Neely took that and threw it out the window. She never looked nice, she looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice. It was supposed to make you feel something.

She had that way about her. No matter if she had on sweatpants and no makeup, or was completely dressed up, Neely always seemed to make people feel something. Whether it be jealous, happy, or anything in between, she had that effect on people. Watching her sleep now, she had the weight of the world on her shoulders and she was carrying it with brilliant strength.
----------
"Harry?" I lifted my head and saw Neely's eyes staring at me, a small smile playing her lips.

"Hey baby," I smiled, closing my eyes again.

"Can you help me get up? I'm kind of hungry." Sitting up as best I could, I stood from the edge of her bed and held my hands out to help her up. As we walked toward the kitchen, she clutched my arm for balance as she opened the fridge and grabbed some yogurt from the door. Not questioning her small choice, I looked at the clock on the microwave that beamed 1:09.

"I need to brush my teeth," she groaned, leaning her head on my shoulder. Kissing her forehead as she took small bites of the yogurt, her skin was blazing hot.

"I think you need to go to the doctor," I said, placing the back of my hand other forehead.

"I hate doctors."

"You're burning up, babe. You might have something serious going on."

"There should be a number on the fridge of a doctor you can call. He's taken care of me since I was 4." Scanning the fridge full of holiday cards and wedding invitations, I finally found the number.

Dr. Irwin: 646-555-2397

Hey guys! TYSFM for 16 almost 17 k. Like, I thought this story was complete shit. You guys proved me wrong. I love you!!

Much love and always stay Larry af.