Chapter 2 Growing Up !

Mariah was getting battered about inside the van. She looked at her watch it had been half an hour and the van was still travelling, which was a good thing because she was now quite a long way from the compound or at least that's what she thought, because the had not stopped anywhere else in that time. I wonder where I am ? I don't even know where the compound is or what State it's in ? All of a sudden the van stopped ! What she could hear were a lot of voices. Am I in a city ? I have seen different places on a map my father had in his office. The door's opened she held her breath again. Ok well this one and this one is yours she could hear someone say, as she felt someone brush past the box she was in. The voice's drifted away. So she decided to make a run for it . She climbed out of the box grabbed her bag and looked out of the door's of the van into a bustling city with car's and pedestrian's everywhere she could see.

She decided to head for the nearest coffee shop and find out where she was. Once she had sat down the waitress came over and asked her what she would like. Can I have a coffee and one of those lovely looking omelettes please. She pointed to one on the menu. Sure said the woman and left her to put the order in. When she came back Mariah asked what was the name of the place she was in ? The woman thought Mariah was joking . Until Mariah told her she'd escaped from a cult! The woman asked which one ? Mariah was very hesitant to tell her. It's ok I won't tell anyone. So Mariah told her. Oh that's the one out Boulder way said the woman smiling. Is it a long way away ? Mariah asked. It's about half an hour drive from here said the woman. Oh that's great said Mariah relieved. You don't want to go back then ? said the woman Not if I can help it said Mariah.

Look I have a break in about fifteen minute's I'll give you some more coffee and just sit tight. Ok said Mariah sheepishly. It's ok I don't bite said the woman smiling . My names Dena she held out her hand which Mariah shook. When she got her break she came and sat with Mariah. Dena managed to find out Mariah had managed to escape the cult in the back of a van and that her mom and father were not very nice people. she never want's to go back and she was seventeen year's old and had nowhere to go. Mariah had no Idea why she had blurted out her life story to this woman ? But when Dena told Mariah she was married and the cafe was her business. Mariah felt very comfortable. Look I know you don't have to trust me said Dena But I do have a spare room at home. My eldest has just left to start Uni. At least please have the room tonight and we'll go from there. Is that ok ? Dena waited for Mariah's answer.

Do you promise me no one from the cult comes in here ? Mariah asked. Yes I'm pretty sure smiled Dena. Ok well then yes I'd love to have the room. But I want to help you out here until you go home. Ok deal said Dena. Shaking Mariah's hand again. They worked together for the rest of the day. Mariah helped clear table's and clear up in general. On the way to Dena's house Mariah was looking out of the window of the car. It look's lovely around here. It's not bad said Dena We live out of the city a bit so it's a bit quieter. Where are we exactly ? Asked Mariah turning to face Dena. You don't know ? No! I've never been anywhere. Oh god right ! Well your in Denver in the State of Colorado. I'll show you on a map later if you'd like ? That would be great thanks said Mariah smiling. When they pulled up onto the drive, Dena's husband Frank was there to greet them.

Hi said Mariah when she was introduced. Welcome said Frank with a big beaming smile. She liked him already she thought. Over dinner she was introduced to their daughter Shelby who was twenty and at Uni and their son Tyler who was still at school he was eighteen. It was a huge house so Mariah got put in their spare room . When their kid's had gone to their room's later in the evening Mariah told Dena and Frank what it was like being in the cult and about her father in particular. Well you don't have to worry here said Frank being all protective. You will be safe here for as long as you want. Dena looked at Mariah. Are you ok ? Yeah! I've just never had people like you around me before. No one has ever been this kind to me. I'm just a little worried that I'm only half an hour away from the compound. No need to be worried said Frank We will protect you. If that's what you want ? He smiled. Why not stay a week and see how you go ? I'm sure Dena can find you some work to do ? Oh yes I can always use another pair of hand's she said smiling.