Chapter 66 Operation

At around five the next morning, the nurses came into the room to prep Tessa for brain surgery, which meant they had to shave off some of her wonderful black hair. Mariah asked if she could keep some, which she put into her pocket for safekeeping. The families all arrived just before six, just as they came to take Tessa down to the operating room. Mariah let everyone go in to say what they wanted to tell Tessa before she had the last word. Hi love of my life, I'm hoping you can hear this? Our son needs his mama to come back to him, and I would love to have my wife back too. We love you so much and you've fought so hard, please don't give up now. We have one heart always remember that. Tessa, please make mine whole again by waking up after this operation. Mariah then lent over and kissed her gently on the lips, as the porters came to wheel Tessa down to the operating room.

They all drank copious amounts of coffee as the morning turned into the afternoon. Eventually, around two o'clock, Nate came into the family room accompanied by Elena. Well? said Mariah She's in recovery, we got it all said Nate smiling. Mariah jumped with joy, as did the rest of the family. She won't be up from recovery just yet said Elena so I suggest you all go home and have a break for a bit. I promise you she will be okay while you're away. Alright said Mariah I guess I could do with a shower and use a change of clothes, also get some proper homemade food inside of you said, Cindy. Ok, let's go then and try and be back in time for Tessa to come back up into ICU again said, Frank. Good job Mariah had traded in her little car for a people carrier, when she found out she was pregnant with Cassie otherwise, two of them would have had to have grabbed a cab back to the ranch.

When Mariah got to the front door, she hesitated to go in. "Mariah" It's ok everything got cleaned up in the nursery, Cindy and I did it. She gave Dena a weak smile. It's not only that, I can still see her lying in that pool of blood said Mariah with a tear rolling down her face. Hey said Frank you don't have to be brave in front of all of us, if you want to have a good cry go ahead and have one. She turned around and gave them all a big hug, I seriously don't know what I would have done without all of your support said Mariah as Frank opened the door to let them all in. When she sat down on the sofa, Dena unclipped Bowie from his car seat and put him onto Mariah's lap. He'll be ready to have his bath and food soon. He will said Mariah but first let's just let him have a bit of time to move around on his playmat, to wear him out a bit. She smiled at her mom.

Would you like a coffee? offered Cindy. Oh yes please, that would be lovely. They all chatted on the sofas for a while and then Mariah went for a shower, change her clothes, and packed a bag to take back to the hospital later. She wanted to stay there until Tessa had come out of her coma. When she came back down, she could smell dinner cooking. Wow! That smells so good said Mariah as she entered the kitchen. Well before we can let you eat, why don't you take Bowie up for his bath, and then feed him and put him to bed for us tonight? Cindy saw the panic flash over Mariah's face. "Mariah," said Cindy in a raised voice snapping her out of the dream-like state she was in. Err yeah! I'll come in the nursery with you to put him down if you'd like me to? No! No! It's okay, I have to go in there on my own at some point. If I can't do it I'll be sure to give you all a shout. Thank you though.

With that, she picked Bowie up off of the playmat where he'd been entertaining himself for the last hour. Ok young man bath time. The parents all smiled when they could hear Mariah laugh as Bowie splashed her, they then heard her come out of the bathroom and head for the nursery. She stopped outside the door for what seemed like a long time before they heard the door open and Mariah walk into the room. Well, that's one barrier out of the way said Frank to the others. Mariah then shouted down for someone to bring Bowie's bottle up. Cindy stood in the doorway of the nursery. Mariah looked up with a smile, thanks for bringing it up I think he's hungry and tired. Are you okay? asked Cindy. A bit of a wobble outside the door said Mariah but all good now. Cindy left her to it, as Mariah put the teat of the bottle into Bowie's mouth, and then looked over to Bowie's crib and saw an image of Tessa falling and hitting her head and blood everywhere.