Chapter 3 Two Weeks Later !

Two weeks ! Wow thought Mariah that's gone fast. What has ? said Dena I've been here two week's already said Mariah smiling at the thought. It's been lovely having you here said Dena. Thank's for everything you've done for me , said Mariah Your welcome. Come on let's have a break and a coffee with a piece of cake . Mariah smiled. You don't have to ask me twice she said. Ok well you go grab one of our booths and I'll bring the goodies over. Mariah sat down and waited for Dena to arrive. Sipping her coffee Dena could see there was something on Mariah's mind. You ok ? she enquired. Err yeah I think so, I've just been thinking a lot since I've been here. What about ? Dena asked. Well about the cult and my parent's and why it felt like being trapped? Since I've been welcomed by you and Frank I've never felt so alive! Maybe it's time for you to talk to someone about all of it ? Oh I don't know about that said Mariah. Well like I said when you feel like talking we have a very good person you can go to. Thankyou said Mariah. Maybe I just need a bit more time ? All I shall say is don't keep it all inside of you, sometimes talking about it makes it all make sense. Ok said Mariah I understand. They went about their day when they got home Dena told Frank what Mariah had said at the cafe. Do you think she'll take us up on the offer of the councillor ? I have no idea said Dena I do hope so though because I think it would do her the world of good to get some of the angst she has off her chest. Yeah ! I think your right said Frank She seems to hold a lot in. Has she even talked to you at work about the cult and her parent's ? No! She hardly mention's them said Dena And if I push she just clams up. Well I guess we just have to play the waiting game then. said Frank. 

As the day got nearer for going to court . Cindy and Carl could see that Tessa was getting more and more nervous. It's going to be ok Cindy said to her one morning as they were sitting having breakfast around the kitchen table. I know said Tessa trying to smile. It's just I have to see him in court, and I've not set eye's on him since he slammed the door as he left my bedroom. You don't have to look at him said Carl . Just look over to where we will be sitting or look straight at Nikki the whole time. She will be sitting at a desk right in front of you. Your father and his lawyer's will be sitting to your right when your on the stand. Tessa looked confused Cindy noticed and said the stand is where you sit to give evidence remember ?  Oh yes I think it's where Nikki told me I would be ? We will be coming to court with you. We can even sit outside with you before you get called into the courtroom if you'd like ? Err that will be lovely. Can you then come into the courtroom if you do that ? Oh yes of cause we can said Carl. How about Cindy sit's with you outside and I'll sit in the courtroom so I can hear everything that's going on, and then I can explain everything to you later if you have any question's ?  That sound's like a plan said Cindy. Tessa just nodded and said I just want it over with!  As she left to go sit in her room. Later they could hear her sobbing. Cindy wanted to go in. But Carl said leave her. It's better out than in, we'll try and give her a better life when this is all over.

A couple of day's later Mariah was on her break in the cafe when she spotted someone she knew! After her break. Dena watched as Mariah backed up into the kitchen with a full plate of food that she was supposed to be bringing out for a customer. She could see Mariah peering out through the glass in the swing door. Dena went into the kitchen to see what was up ! You ok Mariah ? She asked. Err no not really replied Mariah. That person over there. She pointed to a man in a green top. I know him from the cult so I hide so I wasn't seen.  said Mariah Ooh so you don't want to go out there ? said Dena No I don't said Mariah vehemently !  What if he recognises me and goes back and tell's my parent's where I am ? Mariah was shaking. "Mariah" Look at me . Would me or Frank ever let anyone near you if you didn't want them too ? Err I'm going to say no, but I don't really know ! Oh come on ! Really ? said Dena a bit cross ! Ok! Ok! your right said Mariah you wouldn't. But why is he here ? I have no idea said Dena. Why don't I go and find out ? No! No! But it was to late for Mariah to protest. Dena was already out through the door. She could see Dena and the man talking. It put her on edge to think that a cult member would be in the cafe she was working in . When Dena came back into the kitchen Mariah was on tender hooks. Dena saw how stressed she looked. "Mariah" It's ok. I asked him a few question's like I've not seen you here before . Where are you from ? Are you going anywhere ? What was his answer's ? Asked Mariah egger to find out. Well he said he'd escaped from the cult and he told me it was the same one you came from. I asked him how ? And he said he just saw his chance and did the same as you! Mariah was astounded. Really ? 

You sure he wasn't just fishing to see if you'd heard a similar story ? No! I don't think so he sounded pretty genuine. He has a rucksack with him and he looks pretty dishevelled. Did he say where he was going ? Yes! He said he had relative's in California so he was heading there. Can you earn money in the cult ? asked Dena. Yes you can said Mariah not a lot . But you can buy certain thing's off of the delivery's that come in. Ah I see ! Why ? said Mariah. Well he said he'd earnt enough to get by and he was going down to the rest area down the road to see if he can get a lift on any form of transport going that way.  Ok said Mariah But I'm still staying in the kitchen until he leaves if that's ok ? Well of cause it is said Dena giving her a smile. You just help with the washing up for a while. I'll let you know when he's gone. Ok thanks said Mariah as she headed for the  clearing up station in the kitchen to help out.  About half an hour afterwards Dena told Mariah he had left and she'd got one of her local officer's to check that he went where he said he was going. Apparently he did get a lift on a truck heading for California. So maybe he was legit after all ? Mariah just sighed with relief. She looked at Dena and said I give in ! What about ? said Dena The suggestion I should talk to your councillor friend. I can't spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder. Can I ? No! No! you definitely can't. I think it will help you at least have the confidence not to be scared  when or if you see someone from the cult again. I agree said Mariah. Can you sort it for me please ? Yes of cause I can. Dena smiled at her. It will be ok I promise. Mariah smiled back and said I do hope your right.

Tessa was pacing the floor in Cindy and Carl's living room. It's going to be ok they told her. But she was just terrified of seeing her father again, even though it was in a court of law. She knew what he was capable of. Cindy sat in the back seat of the car with Tessa to try and keep her as calm as she could. Once they got inside the courthouse Carl went straight into the courtroom while Cindy stayed with Tessa waiting for her to be called as a witness. Nikki came over to Tessa to just reassure her that she was doing the right thing. Before she went int court number one to help put the case against Tessa's father. There was a recess about two hour's in. Carl came out to tell Tessa what had been said so far. It was mainly about him being on drug's all these year's  and not seeking  help once to kick the habit and neither did her mom. But how does that all help me? Tessa looked worried. Oh it's like giving the court a character witness on your father telling the jury what sort of man he was and still is. Oh I see said Tessa. So they haven't really started about my bit yet then ? No I'm sorry Tessa these thing's do take time sometimes  said Carl . All of a sudden a buzzer went off. It made Tessa jump ! Carl grabbed her hand. It's ok it's the buzzer to go back into the courtrooms Carl said. He kissed his wife's cheek before he went back into court number one. Tessa was told at the start of this process by Nikki that it may take a day or two until she gets called. But ooh boy the waiting around was driving Tessa insane ! 

Cindy could see she was getting more and more anguished the more the time went on. In the end Cindy decided to tell one of the court officer's where her and Tessa would be before marching her outside for some fresh air. Ooh that feel's good thankyou said Tessa looking at Cindy. It's my pleasure, you were getting a bit tense she said. Yeah I guess I was said Tessa. I think it's the thought of seeing him, that's doing my head in. "Tessa" you know he will never do that again to you. Don't you ? Err well you have no guarantee of that do you ? Well I know that Carl and I would protect you with everything we have before he can get to you! Tessa smiled at Cindy I don't think I would of done any of this without all your's and Carl's support over the last couple of week's. Come on said Cindy We'd better go back in before they send out a search party. Ok said Tessa. They had not been in long when Tessa's name was called to give evidence. Cindy followed her in and went and sat with Carl. Tessa looked around the courtroom, she saw where Carl and Cindy were sitting. Right in front of her behind a desk was Nikki who gave her a nod of acknowledgement. Into Tessa's view came a woman with a bible in her hand. Swear the oath said the judge.