Chapter 44 Home !

It's six months after Tessa got shot and they had settled back into their lives in Wisconsin. Tessa was back in the recording studio which meant new record releases will be coming soon and probably another tour at some point? She had taken her time and Devon had not pressured her to get back into the studio. He just let her find her way, she had to build up her lung capacity again to be able to reach the notes she used to get sing. He just let her come in and practice whenever she wanted to. At first, it took a lot out of her, and Mariah would come home from Jabot to the shoebox and find her fast asleep on the sofa bed. She used to tell Mariah she couldn't do it! I can't get my sound back she used to scream. Mariah would just calm her down and say it's there, the doctor's told you it would take time and you just have to be patient. Then all of a sudden about three months later, Tessa came home to the shoebox thrilled that her voice had finally come back, and she had her full range back that had been there before the shooting. 

The only thing she wasn't over yet were the nightmares! She had started to have them once they had got home after her father pointed a gun at her and pulled the trigger. It was getting so bad that Mariah wasn't getting her full night's sleep. She couldn't sleep somewhere else, they had no other room except the bathroom. She loved Tessa dearly but she wasn't going to be sleeping in there! So Mariah decided to talk to Tessa to see if she could persuade her to go and see a counsellor? She planned a lovely take-out meal, she got some flowers and candle's to decorate the table. When Tessa got home from the studio, Mariah made her go and take a shower and relax which always involved putting on PJ's or sweats. When she came out of the bathroom, Mariah had everything organized. It took Tessa's breath away. "Mariah" this is so beautiful. She kissed her tenderly on the lips. I've wanted to do this ever since we got home, but I decided to wait until you got your voice back. Which I knew you would find eventually. She smiled at Tessa.

I'm sorry! Why are you saying that ? said Mariah in a concerned voice. I'm sorry because I never realized how much this all affected you. You saw my father pull out a gun and shoot me right on stage in front of you! You must have thought I was dead? Mariah started to cry. Tessa pulled her into her. Through the sob's Mariah said the worst bit was when you were in the LSV (Life Saving Vehicle ) and your heart stopped beating. I was holding your hand at the time. I thought my heart had broken and that I wouldn't be whole again. Mariah looked at Tessa. I have never been so happy as when you opened your eyes finally in that hospital bed and I knew you were going to be ok. And my heart became whole again because we are one. She kissed Tessa passionately. Hey said Tessa pulling away. Oh, I'm sorry said, Mariah. Did I hurt you? No! No! It's just. Oh, I see it's too soon for us to intermate again? Is that what your saying ? said Mariah a little bit sterner than she meant to.

I'm sorry said Mariah I didn't mean it to come out that way. It's ok Mariah I understand your frustration it's just! "Tessa" Come on it's me. You can tell me anything, you know that. I know said, Tessa. So what are you so scared of? said Mariah. I don't know said Tessa probably the fact that if we get into this, you will see me naked for the first time since! Oh, I get it said Mariah butting in. You're afraid of me seeing you naked because then I will have to see all the scares you have from where your father shot you. Is that it? said Mariah. Yeah! Because I look different from when we first made love Mariah. Is that why you lock the bathroom door now? said Mariah so I can't walk in and see you? She felt a little upset at that. Yes! said, Tessa. Ok well, we have to sort this out said Mariah because I want to marry you someday soon, and I want to be able to make love to you and with you to be comfortable for me to do that. Also one of the marriage vows is in sickness and in health and I think we've conquered that one already, don't you?

 I love you Tessa Porter and I'm willing to wait if that's what you need me to do? I love you too Mariah Copeland and I want nothing more than to marry you too. But I just need a little while longer to get used to these scares before I show them to you fully. Is that ok? No problem said Mariah maybe we should eat and then watch a scary movie or two cuddled up on the sofa ? that sounds wonderful said Tessa a bit relieved. When Mariah was getting the bed out later. Tessa was looking at her scares in the bathroom mirror. There was a huge scar down the left-hand side of her body Under her arm and running down to her hip, where the surgeons got access to her kidney and lung. She turned around and there was another one just above her left buttock where the bullet had come out! Why am I so worried about Mariah seeing all this? I mean she was there at the hospital, so she must have seen it worse than this? I'm going to phone Nikki and talk to her about it. She helped me so much when I was going through my father's court trial. I'll phone Cindy in the morning and get Nikki's number.