Chapter 5 Next Step ?

Mariah had opened up a bit more to Dena and Frank since she had seen the councillor. She'd also told them when her birthday was. She'd be eighteen on the 7th of January . She hated her birthday mainly because it was a short time after the Christmas season which they did not celebrate in the cult ! Well to be fair they didn't really celebrate anything not even birthday's. Dena was shocked about this little story and was determined to make Mariah's birthday the best thing that's ever happened to her. Frank was trying to rein Dena in, go east he said to her you don't want to scare the poor child off ! What do you mean ? said Dena Well said Frank she's never had a real birthday you don't want to go to O.T.T. you might terrify the poor girl so much she'll never want another one. Dena laughed when have you ever known a kid not like a birthday party ? She carried on with what she was doing. Frank left shaking his head. Dena and Frank's daughter Shelby will be home for the holidays thought Mariah I wonder how that will change things around here ? Mariah already gets on famously with her brother Tyler. Argh ! I'm sure it will be fine . 

On the day she'll be arriving home Mariah had volunteered to work an extra shift at the cafe. So she could bump into her just yet . Your not going to be here ? enquired Dena. Well I will be just later said Mariah. I just thought it would be nice for the employees who have children to have some time off , while us single folk can work. That's very thoughtful of you said Frank. It is isn't it laughed Mariah. Ok I have to go said Mariah heading for the door opening it she walked straight into Shelby. Hi said Shelby Hi said Mariah. Excuse me while I head to work. Mariah bustled past. Shelby came in through the doorway straight into her mother's arms. Oh it's so good your home said Dena. As she squeezed the life out of Shelby. Ok mum you can release me now so I can breath. They both laughed . I'm guessing that was Mariah ? Yes I'm guessing she went to work to give us some space. Why ? said Shelby quizzically . Well she's not really had a nice family life the cult was very restricting in a lot of ways and I think she still feels like she doesn't belong. Is she single ? "Shelby" she's only seventeen ! Yeah and ? I don't even know if she's into girls or boys ? I've never asked her said Dena. Shelby smiled. I could find out ? No! said her mother sternly. 

I don't want you frightening her off. Oh spoil sport ! said Shelby smiling. Anyway you have a lovely girlfriend said Dena. I do and I love her very much said Shelby But I could talk to Mariah while I'm here ? Well I don't mind, but please back off if you think she's finding it all to uncomfortable ? I promise I will said Shelby as she headed to her room to unpack. Mariah was working away in the cafe, when Shelby walked in . Hi again said Shelby as she passed Mariah to sit down in one of the booth's . Mariah walked over to get her order. What would you like ? Mariah asked . Can I please have a soy coffee and a ham omelette ? Sure said Mariah as she turned to leave Shelby asked when her break would be and if she'd like to join her so they could get to know one another ? They were after all going to be spending the next three week's together under the same roof. Err I have a break in about thirty minutes time said Mariah . Ok that's great I'll wait. Mariah headed to the kitchen to place Shelby's order. And to serve other customer's who were waiting.

After about forty five minutes Mariah brought over two coffee's and sat down in front of Shelby. Hi It's really busy today ? Yeah it always is on a Friday even busier tomorrow. How you finding it here at mom's cafe ? Oh wonderful said Mariah It's much better than where I came from. The cult about half an hour from here right ? Shelby waited for Mariah to answer. Err hello where did you go ? Asked Shelby Oh I'm sorry my mind wandered off . Yes the cult up the road a way. Mariah finally said. My mom said it's your eighteenth soon ? Yes on the seventh of January. Great it's the day before I have to go back to uni said Shelby smiling. We can have a party ? I won't have anyone to invite said Mariah sadly. It's ok you can meet some of mine and Tyler's friend's . We will have great fun. I've never had a party said Mariah glumly. Hey Mariah it's ok we don't have to have load's of people we can keep it just family. If you want ? Really ? I think I'd really like that the most. Your parent's have been really lovely since I arrived here the day I escaped the compound in a van ! In a van ? That was very brave of you . I suppose you could say that said Mariah I have been in fear of someone coming after me and taking me back ! They can't do that can they ? said Shelby . Well your mom said because I'm an adult they can't ! But if they grab me and take me who's going to know said Mariah terrified.