Chapter 43 Recovering.

The nurses were not happy with Mariah walking anywhere. She was still shocked and shaky and they wanted her to stay on the IV drip. So they got her a wheelchair and Frank pushed her and Dena pushed along the IV drip beside them. They got to the ICU and were shown to Tessa's room. Mariah was shocked to see all the tubes IVs and machinery attached to her. Cindy and Carl came out and gave Mariah a big hug. It's great to see you awake they said. How's she doing? asked Mariah It's very early days Mariah, and she has a huge mountain to climb. Cindy told Mariah what had happened to her kidney and lung and the bullet went in and came out of her back. Mariah was in floods of tears. Is it ok if I stay with her ? said Mariah I don't want to go back to the other room while she's still fighting, I need to be here. Well err I can see what I can do said, Frank. If that's ok with Cindy and Carl of cause? We wouldn't want it any other way, and nor would Tessa. 

Ok well, let's push you in. Cindy and I will leave you for a bit said Carl while we go home have something to eat, change also shower and settle your parent's into our house. Then I think we need to do a rota between the four of us while the girls are in here, so we're not all exhausted at the same time. Brilliant idea Carl said, Frank. first of all, I'll go see if I can get Mariah put into the same room. You two stay there Dena said to Carl and Cindy I'll go get you some coffee. Thank you said Cindy with very sad eye's which made Dena go and give her a hug and say we'll get them both through this together. About an hour Frank came back after jumping through a lot of hoops. Ok, it's a go he said cheerfully. They have finally agreed after much pleading on my part, that the girls will do better being close together. They're going to try and get it sorted by this afternoon. That's wonderful news the rest of them said. When Mariah got pushed into Tessa's room with all the different noises from all the different machines keeping her fiancé alive. 

Mariah was quite taken aback, it took her a while to think of something to say to her. The staff had recommended talking to the patient because they found out that ninety percent of patients in the ICU could actually hear their family members talking to them! Hi, this wasn't exactly how I was thinking we'd end your four months away from me said, Mariah. She reached over and started stroking Tessa's hand. I was planning on us having wild sex all day in our hotel room! I guess because of your injures that won't be happening for quite a while now? Tessa, I love you with everything I have, you make me so happy, I can't wait to marry you. You are the other half of me, we are no good without the other. We have one heart you remember that and hold onto it. Because I'm not going anywhere until we can walk out of this hospital together. You keep fighting, you hear me! Mariah placed her head on top of Tessa's hand. 

"Mariah" Frank had entered the room. Yeah! We're going back to Cindy and Carl's to all shower have something to eat and change and then we're planning on two of us being here at one time so that we can all get some sleep. We've arranged for your bed to be moved into here, so you can be close to Tessa. Is that ok with you? Yes of cause it is said, Mariah. But before you go can you find out if I'm allowed to drink some coffee, please. Sure no problem said Frank as he left. He came back with a lovely steaming hot cup of coffee and kissed her on the forehead. We'll be back soon he said. Ok said Mariah, we're not going anywhere are we Tessa. She smiled at Frank. By the time they all came back to the hospital, Mariah's bed had been put into Tessa's room and Mariah was fast asleep holding Tessa's hand. Oh, that is adorable said, Cindy.

The staff said that Tessa was still holding her own, considering how much she'd had done to her in the operating room. Instead of waking Mariah up they all sat outside and just chatted about this and that. Cindy and Carl wanted Dena and Frank to be included in all the doctor meetings from there on in. They had one at 7pm. They told them encouraging that Tessa was still holding her own nearly twenty-four hours later. Mariah they said was still in shock, so they wanted to keep an eye on her for the next few days. Great said Frank hopefully that will help Tessa knowing Mariah is right next to her. The doctors also told them that it will be a long haul and while Tessa and Mariah are settled they are all better off going home and getting some proper sleep in lovely beds, instead of cat napping in hospital chairs are all the time. Well, that told us then said, Carl. After the doctors left. When Mariah wakes up let's ask her what she thinks and go from there said, Dena.