Chapter 114 Home Coming

Mariah told her to sit down. I can see why you love sitting out here said Tessa nervously. Yeah, it's a lovely spot said Mariah also nervous. Do you want me to pour you some coffee? That would be great, thanks said, Tessa. They sat there in silence for a little while. Mariah then plucked up the courage. I'm sorry, blurted out Mariah. For what? said, Tessa. They both looked at one another across the table. I'm sorry for letting you face everything on your own, said Mariah sadly. And I'm sorry I had that dam pool built said Tessa with tears in her eyes. I realize now, that this is not your fault said Mariah. I needed to blame somebody, and because you had it built, it ended up being you. Tessa, I am so sorry. You're grieving as much as me. I just couldn't handle it and left you to do it all. Tell our kids, to organize his funeral. I just don't know what I was thinking. Please tell me you didn't get rid of the pool. I didn't said, Tessa. Our dads want to teach our other kids to swim, and they have been doing a great job while you've been away. Not only that, I thought if we got rid of the pool, the memory of it being there won't go away. So our dads talked me into leaving it there and making sure our kids could swim. They have ensured that the kids go nowhere near the pool unless they have a swimming lesson.

Oh, great said Mariah because I was worried about that. I'm also sorry, that I let you tell our kids what happened to Bowie. I can't believe I screamed at you like that. It's okay said Tessa. Just about to reach out across the table with her hand, and then thought better of it. I'm sorry you felt like I pressured you into signing those forms, for Bowie to be an organ donor. I honestly don't remember much about it. The doctor just told me we had to hurry up and make a decision, and I guess that's what I did said Tessa. I was just worried he wouldn't look like Bowie anymore said Mariah. But on seeing him, my parents assured me he does. Oh, he definitely does said Tessa. He looks like, he's just fast asleep. Mariah burst into tears at this point. Tessa rushed around the table and took Mariah into her arms and they both sobbed together. Tessa held Mariah as if her life depended on it. When they parted, Tessa got her chair and moved it next to Mariah's, and for the next half an hour they sat there holding hands and drinking the coffee, that Nikki had made them and sat there in silence. After that bit of time, Mariah asked Tessa about the arrangements she has made for Bowie's funeral. I thought we might plant a tree in his honor said Tessa. Where? asked Mariah.

Well, I thought one for our garden and one in a forest somewhere said, Tessa. What do you think? Err well, I love the idea, and I have no objection. But I have one question said, Mariah. Okay, hit me with it said Tessa smiling slightly. Where are we going to put Bowie's ashes? We could bury them under the tree? said, Tessa. Which one? asked Mariah because I would hate it if we moved and we couldn't take him with us. What about, if we took him to the house in Santa Barbra, we have just bought before all this happened? We did say it would be our retirement home. We could plant a tree there, and he'd always have views of the beach and the ocean. It's the ideal spot said Mariah as she beamed a smile in Tessa's direction after she had made the suggestion. Maybe when we get his ashes back, we could book a family vacation there, and take the whole family and plant the tree at the same time? said, Tessa. Also, it will give us all some time together after the funeral. That's a wonderful idea said Mariah. Nikki tentatively went onto the veranda. Would you ladies like some more coffee? Mariah and Tessa looked up and smiled at Nikki. That would be great said Tessa. I can see everything is going great said Nikki. Looking at their entwined fingers and hands.

Yes, and thank you for everything said Tessa looking at Mariah and smiling. I guess I have to thank you too said Mariah. You're both very welcome, and I'm glad things worked out said Nikki. How about all you're family coming here tomorrow? We have enough rooms, and we could have a lovely dinner, etc. Err well, Tessa stuttered. We only have four days left until Bowie's funeral. But everything is sorted isn't it? said, Mariah. Yes, I guess so said Tessa. Well, how about, you all come here tomorrow at Nikki's kind invitation tomorrow, and then we could head home to Wisconsin the next day? Tessa looked at Mariah in surprise. You're coming home with me? Err well, I thought that's why you came all this way. It was to bring me home, wasn't it? said Mariah a little confused. Yes, yes of course it was said, Tessa. I just didn't want you to come home if you still wanted to leave again afterward. Especially if you couldn't forgive me, for having that pool built. "Tessa" I realized I couldn't keep blaming you for Bowie's accident. It took me a while to realize that, and I said I am sorry. But now I need to be home with you our kids and our parents so that we can all grieve together and be a unit, for our last goodbye to Bowie. Nikki went off to make the coffee. Tessa pulled Mariah in so that she could kiss her. She couldn't wait any longer. I'm sorry, I just needed to do that so badly said Tessa starting to take her seat back around the table, across from Mariah.