Chapter 116 I'm home

On the way home to Wisconsin. They had to stop a few times, to let everyone stretch their legs get some food, and have some coffee. They finally reached home, just as it was getting dark. Tessa opened the door to the house, and then went back for some of the luggage. Mariah stepped in. She was a little apprehensive at first. it's okay said Dena behind her. Once through the door, Mariah's eyes went straight to the pool room. Tessa brought in some of their luggage, the dads brought in the rest. Tessa noticed straight away what Mariah was doing. She went over and slipped her hand into Mariah's, to give her some confidence. Tessa then turned around to Cindy and Dena. Can you watch the kids for a bit, please? Mariah and I need to do something. Do we? said Mariah a little apprehension in her voice. No problem said, Dena. Tessa turned back around and grabbed Mariah's other hand. We need to do this together said Tessa otherwise it will play on our minds forever. Thanks for keeping an eye on the kids said, Tessa. We won't be long. She then walked with Mariah in the direction of the pool room. What is she doing? questioned Dena. I think she wants them both to confront their fears, concerning the pool said Cindy. I just hope she's not pushing Mariah too soon. No, I don't think she is said, Dena. Mariah seemed happy enough in Iowa, so I think they talked it out, about Mariah blaming Tessa for having the pool built, etc.

Well. we will soon see said Cindy. What shall we do in the meantime? asked Dena. Well, I think we should feed the masses said Cindy. But we also need to do a shopping haul, as there is nothing in the house. Let's load everyone up then, and go and eat out and do the food shopping at the same time said Dena. Great idea, let's leave the girls a note, so they know what we've done. Okay, I will go and round up the troops said Cindy. Tessa could feel Mariah's hand trying to escape hers, the nearer they got to the pool. We have to do this said Tessa trying to reassure her. I appreciate that said Mariah sadly. But that still doesn't make it any easier. I know that said Tessa sharply. I came back here when the cops were still here don't forget. Mariah was on the brink of sobbing her heart out, at the tone of Tessa's voice. I'm sorry said Tessa realizing the situation. I didn't mean it to come out in that tone. Mariah wiped away her tears. It's okay I'm just a little sensitive right now. Tessa opened the door to the pool area. She and Mariah just stood there glued to the spot, looking at the blue water in front of them. Mariah squeezed Tessa's hand. I don't know what to say said Mariah. Me neither said, Tessa. I guess we should go and sit down at least. And then if anything comes to mind, we just say it.

Put it out in the open you mean, so that we're not carrying it around with us? said Mariah. Something like that said, Tessa. They walked over to where the seating was and sat down. Mariah was still holding onto Tessa's hand very firmly. Okay, to stop us hyperventilating, I suggest we take some deep breaths said Tessa a little concerned about Mariah. They both took a huge breath in and then started to breathe out slowly. Tessa was watching Mariah all the time. When Mariah opened her eyes after the breathing exercises Tessa had asked her to do. Tessa was staring right at her. Did you do the exercises? asked Mariah. Yes, I did said Tessa defiantly. I was just keeping an eye on you when I did them. Mariah smiled at her. Thank you for looking out for me said Mariah. Always said, Tessa. Are you doing okay? I'm still a bit anxious if I'm honest said Mariah but the exercises helped. I'm getting no visions of Bowie. I'm so glad about that said Tessa a little relieved. They stayed in the pool area for about another half an hour before returning to the living room. They noticed everywhere was very quiet. Where is everyone? asked Mariah. Tessa headed for the kitchen to make them some coffee. I have no idea said Tessa Oh wait, hold that thought. We have a note.

Mariah headed for the kitchen to join Tessa. Where? asked Mariah. On the counter right beside you said Tessa putting the coffee machine on. Mariah picked it up and started to read it. Hi girls, we've gone out for something to eat. And to do a grocery haul. Hope you're both okay. Call us if you need anything, or want to meet up. Loads of love, all of us x. Awe, that's sweet said Tessa pouring the coffee out. Yes, it is said, Mariah. But we don't have anything to eat until they get back. Tessa went to the fridge to get some milk, for their coffee and then realized they didn't have any! We have to go out too she said. We have no milk. Oh geez, I'd forgotten that said, Mariah. Can I ask you something? Yes of course said Tessa. I want to see Bowie. Would that be possible? I want to say my goodbyes, before the funeral in a couple of days' time. Err, I'll have to phone the funeral home to find out said Tessa. I didn't think anyone else would want to see him, so they asked me if they should put the lid on him. I said yes, not thinking in a million years that you would be back. I'll ring now and find out. Maybe we could do food and coffee at the same time? said Tessa matter-of-factly. Ten minutes later, they were in the car on their way to see Bowie.