Chapter 35 New Beginnings

A few months later and their relationship was going well. Mariah was still living in the Grand Phoenix, mainly because Tessa was promoting her new single If You're Not Busy all over the country. So she had been away from the shoebox quite a lot. She did say that Mariah could use it while she was away if she needed a bit of space? But she'd not bothered because she loved the luxury of the Phoenix, especially with its spa facilities. But tonight was special because Tessa was flying back in from Chicago after finishing the promotional tour there, and also she'd managed to stay with her parents while doing that which she'd loved. She hadn't seen them since they had brought her to Genoa City and helped her move into the shoebox. Mariah had also realized it had been a long time since she had seen Dena and Frank too. I must see if I can organize a work trip to Denver, she made a note in her diary.

She'd gone over to the shoebox to put fresh stuff into Tessa's fridge and a few things she could cook herself in the freezer. The chances were that they would probably be eating together for the next few nights anyway. Mariah had felt a bit lost without Tessa around truth be told. But she wouldn't stop her from doing what she loved no matter how much she missed her. Tessa was born to sing! And I'm her number one fan always said Mariah to herself. When they had talked earlier in the day, Tessa had told her roughly when her flight would be landing in Genoa, Mariah had told her to come straight to the shoebox where she would be waiting! She was just making sure the Chinese (their favorite meal) in the oven was not getting burnt and was just keeping warm nicely when she heard a key in the lock of the door. Before Tessa had got a chance to twist the key, Mariah had opened the door and was all over her. Finally, Tessa had a chance to breathe. Hi, have you missed me by any chance? Hi, what gave you that idea ? said Mariah Of cause I've missed you. 

How were Cindy and Carl? I bet they loved having you home for a bit? "Mariah" Tessa raised her voice! Can I get in the door please before you bombard me with twenty questions? Mariah moved out of her way so she could bring her cases in. Tessa went straight to the fridge and opened a bottle of Kabocha. She slumped onto the sofa. She looked up at Mariah, I'm sorry but it's been a long and exhausting trip. I didn't mean to shout just then. It's ok said Mariah maybe I should just go and leave you to it tonight? Yeah! Maybe you should I don't think I'll be very good company. Mariah picked up her bag from the kitchen, took out her part of the Chinese dinner from the oven because she was starving, and headed for the door. Tessa didn't even look up as she opened the door and left. She got a cab back to the Phoenix as it was quicker than walking. As soon as she sat down in her room, the flood gate's opened and tear's rolled down her face. She eat the Chinese even though it was nearly cold at this point. And got herself ready for bed.

Did I do something wrong? Tessa fell asleep on the sofa, she had no idea Mariah had left until she woke up at midnight! Looking at her phone there was no message from Mariah. Oh geez, I have a lot of sucking up to do. She must be wondering what the hell happened? When I walked in a practically shoved her aside. Tessa went to her oven, at least I did remember to turn the oven off before I fell asleep. She went to her fridge and realized her wonderful girlfriend had stocked her up on everything. She made herself a coffee, reached for her phone again, and put on an alarm so that it would wake her up at 6.30 am because that's when she knew Mariah starts getting ready for work. Mariah made herself a coffee which she rarely did before bed. She had her PJ's on and she snuggled under the lovely throw she'd brought all the way from Denver on the sofa. Things with Tessa were swirling around in her mind. What the hell did I do? It was supposed to be a romantic welcome home, and instead, it felt like I was getting the cold shoulder! 

Was it just because she was exhausted? I mean all she had to say was I'm sorry but I'm tired can we please do this another night. But when I left she didn't even look at me or say goodbye! Did something happen in Chicago? She got out her phone and was going to phone Tessa, and then she thought if she had gone to sleep she would wake her up, and then she'd be even angrier. Then she started to write a text out but nothing made sense. So she just finished her coffee and set her alarm for the morning. At 6 am Mariah's phone alarm went off! She groaned under the covers, she'd not had much sleep thinking about all the thing's that she might have done to upset Tessa without knowing. Also drinking the coffee that late at night had not helped either! Dragging herself up she rang down for room service to bring breakfast up at 6.30 am on the dot. Once that was done she was into the shower, get herself dressed, and get her makeup on. By which time the breakfast had arrived and her phone was ringing! When she looked to see who it was this time in the morning she realized it was Tessa!