Fools {James Potter x Reader}

Another Marauder? Yep! But this time it's going to be a bit angsty. Why? Idk I felt like making something angsty. This will follow the song Fools by Troye Sivan because I heard it on a playlist and instantly thought of a oneshot idea. Though I did give it a nice little ending that can be interpreted however people want to.

The reader and James have been best friends since they were kids. The reader fell hard for him, but he fell for Lily. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sigh softly as I stare at the boy I've known for years, who sits at the Gryffindor table. I could go over to him like I normally do during breakfast, but he was busy flirting with that Evans girl. He's been chasing after her since we started our first year at Hogwarts. At first I didn't care, seeing that she would reject his advances. However I noticed how she started to enjoy his flirting. He's changed for her, being less irresponsible and arrogant. He did that all for her. What hurt the most was that if she needed anything he'd go to her in an instant, but he didn't do that for me. I wanted his attention like that, but I knew I wouldn't get that.

I am tired of this place, I hope people change

I need time to replace what I gave away

And my hopes, they are high, I must keep them small

Though I try to resist I still want it all

I get up and leave the Great Hall. I ignored the calling from James as I walked out of the room. I knew I had to distance myself from him to keep myself from falling apart. Maybe then I could lock away these feelings I have. "Are you really ignoring me?" I stopped walking as I heard James' voice. I look down at the floor. "I've got a lot on my mind right now James." I say, hoping it'll satisfy him but I should've known better. He placed a hand on my shoulder, clueing me in on how close he had gotten to me without even noticing. I shift my gaze from the floor to his worried eyes. "What's going on in that head of yours?" I sigh softly as I remove his hand from my shoulder, letting it fall back down to his side while putting a bit of distance between us. "Nothing that you need to concern yourself with. Just go back to your girlfriend." I say as I turn on my heel and walk off.

I see swimming pools and living rooms and aeroplanes

I see a little house on the hill and children's names

I see quiet nights poured over ice and Tanqueray

But everything is shattering and it's my mistake

— — — — — — — —— — — — — — — —

Only fools fall for you, only fools

Only fools do what I do, only fools fall

Only fools fall for you, only fools

Only fools do what I do, only fools fall

"You look gorgeous Lily." I say to the newly wed in front of me. She smiles at me as she gently grabs my hands. "Thank you." I force a smile onto my lips before she pulls me into a hug. "I'm so glad you could make it here. I know it means a lot to James having you here." She says as she pulls away, letting go of me. "I wouldn't miss the happiest day of his life." I tell her despite the fact that James and I have grown distant. Lily was about to say something, but someone called her. She excused herself to go talk to the person. I looked around the room and spotted James conversing with the other Marauders. I watched as I fought the urge to walk over to him. I fought the urge to ruin his happy day because I knew better. He spotted me watching him and smiled at me, giving me a little wave. I smile as tears start to form. I look away and maneuver my way through the crowd of people, going outside so no one could see my tears.