The Heroine (The Doctor)

Summary: The reader is a former companion of the Doctor's that got left behind in a time that isn't her own with the promise of being the Doctor's companion again, but a lot more time has passed since then and the reader is losing hope.

6/26/23 Note: This is a short song fic that I made while listening to the song The Heroine by Unwoman (mostly the cover done by Justine's Mic). It's not the best, a bit angsty considering the song but it does have a happy ending. It's not my favorite oneshot, but I decided to post it anyways because some else might like it.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

The city is war-torn and nearly impassable

I act the lovelorn, dramatically laughable

You said you'd come see me here underground

Now it's closing night, you can't be found

It has been years since I had last heard from the man that I gave up everything to travel with. He left me in a future far from my own time; in a city that has suffered from a war and rarely received what it needed to survive. He had told me that he'd come back for me, but with each passing day it seemed unlikely he'd return.

It was obvious to those around me, as well as myself, that I held onto hope because of the love that I have for him. Even though it grew obvious how the feelings were not mutual. Especially with how he left without a motion of hesitation. Clearly I held no special place in his heart. At least that's what the others believed.

Before he left he told me he'd come back, that he would find me here in the lounge club known as The Underground. Yet as proven time and time again he had not and now the lounge would be closed after tonight. With it being closed I'd have to find refuge somewhere else and he'd never know. I could try my best to find a way to send a sign to him, but it would be pointless.

I go through the motions again and again

But you are not here to see them

I go through the emotions again and again

And this time I actually feel them

Every day I would just go through the motions as I would wait for him to return. Yet there was no sign of him. Every day I would act as if it never bothered me, but it was obvious to anyone who would see me that I had been. Eventually it became too much to keep in and I let myself succumb to them. Each night with each performance I would let the mask of togetherness chip away until all my emotions were bored for all to see. Nothing held back. Especially on this closing night. The last bit of hope slowly slips away with each passing second.

I play the heroine, I play to their sympathies

I say the sweetest things to command their empathy

I had been admired for my strength and courage during these hard times. I had shown that a war would not bring me down nor the abandonment of a loved one. I would stand tall and push forward as I helped those around me survive during these hard times. I did what I could to help with raising morale and tending to those injured during any battles to the best of my abilities. This led to being sympathized by others and I played into them. It made each day a little easier as the days grew bleaker and less people came around.

I used my voice to gain the empathy of others. It wasn't difficult in a time like this. With a war having destroyed most of the city and everywhere around it, most could empathize with another. Losing a love that would never come back, never seeing your home quite the way it used to be, feeling like there's no reason for hope with how things are looking are all things that I've seen on their faces and I've used that to my advantage. Time was a fickle thing, not quite kind but not quite cruel. Only those who traveled through it really saw how great and terrible time can be. And those who've traveled through time know how important even the smallest of things can be to time.