The Minotour

" now this is the life," say mom.

We were sitting on the couch in front of a roaring fire on the beach.

" you're kidding ,right? we've got no power and there's like, a hurricane going on outside," says Percy.

" i'll take this place over home with Gabe any day," I say.

" this place has such good memories for me. It's where I met your father, you know. We spent the summer together. He knew I was expecting a baby. But he had to set sail, and we never saw each other again. He was... lost at sea. There's lots of him in you two. Your eyes your hair-," says mom.

"Our D+ average," I say.

" I'm sure Yancy won't be inviting us back next year, Mom," say Percy.

" we'll figure out something, you two, we always do," says mom.

" you're going to send us away again aren't you, because you don't want us around?" I ask.

" Or is it Gabe? We deserve better than him. You deserve better than him," says Percy.

He was right about that much.

" I have to send you away. I need you guys to understand that. They told me it'd be too dangerous to keep you close. So it's either boarding school or the place your father wanted you to go," says mom.

"Gabe?" I ask.

"No you biological father," says my mom.

" he never even met us, but he had a school picked out for us?" Asks Percy.

" not a school more like a camp. It's not far from here actually. He said you'd be safe there but it might mean that I have to say goodbye to you for good. That I don't want to do," says mom.

"Safe from what?" I ask.

Before Mom could answer there was a loud bang at the door. She looks up nervously.

" Great. Maybe Gabe came by to get a refill on his bean dip," says Percy.

" Percy, don't answer the door!" Mom yells but it was too late.

"Grover?" Percy asks.

My brother takes a step back to reveal our friend dressed in his regular green T-shirt except this time from the waist down he had some furry creature thing for legs. He was soaking wet and super out of breath.

" searching all night -huff- what were you -huff- thinking?" Demands grover.

" look, I'm sorry I ditched you at the bus depot, but-" my brother starts but grover cuts him off.

" it's right behind me, Ms. Jackson. We have to leave!" Grover yells.

" Percy? Phoebe? Did something happen at school? What haven't you told me?" My mom demands.

I think back to Mrs. Dodds.

" nothing. I- Grover what's with your legs?" My brother asks finally noticing they look like some farm animal.

"Kids tell me now," my mom demands.

" there was this teacher, and she was like a bat lady or something. But everyone said she never existed, so-," I start but then get cut off.

" get to the car, all of you! Go!" My mom yells.

I grab my brothers hand and we rush to the car. I slide into the front seat next to Mom in the boys file into the backseat together.

" so, from the waist down, my best friend is a donkey?" My brother asks grover.

"BLA-A-A! A goat! Lucky for you, I really am your friend. There is satyrs who trample you under hoof for such an insult!" Says grover.

" wait! A satyr? like from Mr.Brunner's myths?" I ask turning around to see the boys.

" was mrs. Dodds a myth?" Grover's asks.

" so you admit there was a Mrs. Dodds!" Says Percy.

" of course. We used mist to make everyone forget her, hoping you think you imagined it all," say grover.

If she was real does that mean we really killed somebody.

" unfortunately, what's chasing us now is much worse than Mrs. Dodds," says grover.

" if we can just make it to camp one more mile. Please," I hear my mom mumble under her breathe.

I hear thunder and then a crack. The car goes flying into the air it hits the ground and does one more flip before skidding to a stop on the side of the road.

"Grover, I think he's hurt," I say worried.

" then we'll carry him. It's just a little farther, and you'll be safe," says mom.

I hear Grover mumbling something about food but I wasn't paying attention. We get him out of the car and drag him across the grass.

" mom something is coming," says Percy.

I hear a loud noise coming from the woods.

" take grover and head towards that tall pine tree. That's the property line on the other side of the hill. There's a farm house. Don't stop until you get there," says mom.

"But what about you? I'm not leaving you!" I yell.

"I'll be fine. It's not me they want. It's you two," my mom says, "just go!"

Percy and I haul grover away.

"NOOOOOO," we hear our mom yell.

"Mom!" I yell.

"Percy! Phoebe!" She yells.

I finally get a good look at the monster. It giant and part bull. His eyes glowed yellow and he had his massive hand wrapped around my mom.

It squeezes and our mom begins to glow and when the color leaves she gone.

"MOM!" I yell.

Percy runs to the creature and grabs its arm. It tries to shake him off. I run to the other side a grasps it's arm. Percy climbs up onto it neck and breaks off one of its horns. The beast tries to slash at him with one hand but I grab it before it can reach my brother. Percy raises the horn he stabs it into the bulls head. It erupts into golden dust.

I immediately felt so tired. My legs collapsed from under me and I fall on the ground. I hear my brother fall next to me.