The Fall

"Annabeth!" Percy yells at the hole in the ground.

"Here!" I hear Annabeth sob from somewhere below.

The Argo ll descends. Percy leans over the edge searching for her. I practically have to hold him back to keep him from jump over the edge.

The ship lands and I let go of Percy so he can go to her. The rest of us get out and surround them. I stood next to Nico. His arms wrapped around hazel and my necks so he could stand for long periods of time.

"Your leg," Piper say kneeling next to Annabeth, "Oh, Annabeth, what happened?"

Annabeth explains what happened with the spiders and tapestries. Percy stands with her the whole time.

"God of Olympus, Annie," I mumble.

"You did all that alone... with a broken ankle?" Jason says.

"Well... some of it with a broken ankle," she says.

Percy grinned, "You made Archne weave her own trap? I knew you were good but holy hera- Annabeth, you did it! Generations of Athena kids have failed. You found the Athena Parthenos!"

We all gaze up at the statue.

"What do we do with her?" Frank asks, "She's huge."

"We have to take her with us to Greece. The statue is powerful. Something about it will help us stop the giants," Annabeth says.

"The giants babe stands gold and pale," Hazel quotes, "Won with pain from a woven jail," she looks at Annabeth, "It was Arachne's jail. You tricked her into weaving it."

Leo studies the statue, "Well it might take some rearranging, but I think we can fit her through the bath doors in the stable. If she sticks out the end, I might have to wrap a flag around her feet or something."

"What about you guys?" Annabeth asks, "What happened with the giants?"

Percy and I took turns telling her about rescuing Nico, Bacchus, and the fight with the twins in the colosseum. Percy told her about the doors of death.

"So the mortal side is in Epirus," Annabeth says, "At leasts that's somewhere we can reach."

Nico grimaced, "But the other side is the problem. Tartarus."

The word echos in the chamber. The pit behind us exhaled a cold blast of air. That was a one way trip to Tartarus.

Percy and Annabeth move away from the hole.

"Bacchus mentioned something about my voyage being harder than I expected. Not sure why-" Percy starts.

The chamber groans. The statue tilted to one side. Its head caught on one of Arachne's support cables, but the marble foundation under the pedestal was crumbling.

"Secure it!" Annabeth cried.

"Zhang!" Leo cried, "Get me to the helm, quickly! Coach is up there alone!"

Frank transformed into a giant eagle and the two of them skated towards the ship.

Jason grabs Piper and shoot up to the ship.

"The rest of us should get to the ladder. This floor won't last," Hazel says.

Plumes of dust and cobwebs blasted from holes in the floor. Hazel lunged for the bottom of the rope ladder. I haul nico over to her and have her take him. Percy and Annabeth are far behind us. Annabeth's leg was acting up. I wait for them as they stagger this way.

Spider sip wrapped around Annabeth's leg.

"Her ankle! Cut it! Cut it!" Hazel screams at them.

The looked confused.  It yanked Annabeth backwards. Percy lunged and grabbed her arm. They were quickly gaining momentum towards the pit. I take off in a full sprint.

I watch them fall into the pit. I quickly linger and throw my hand down in time for Percy to grab it still holding onto Annabeth.

I began to slip over the edge. Annabeth was pleading for Percy to let go. He wouldn't. He looks at me painstakingly.

"Don't even think about it?" I say with a tear.

The ground tumbled which didn't help my grip.

"The other side, Pheebes. We'll see you there. Understand?" Percy says.

"No!" I scream and the ground shakes some more.

"Lead then Phoebe. Promise me?" Percy shouts.

I knew it was hopeless to fight. This was out of my control.

"I- I will," I stutter.

The ground moves some more. Percy lets go. I scream. I couldn't do anything. I get up and back away from the ledge.

Nico and Hazel are at my side first followed by Jason and Piper and lastly Leo. I fall on the ground with my face in my hands. The ground d continues to jerk. I hear an awful sound behind me. An old building not far away had come down. I had finally leveled a building. The rest of them where struggling to stand up.

I get up. At first I fully determined to go into that pit after them but Percy wouldn't want that. I promised I would stay. That I would lead.

The shakes subside slightly. Not that I was feeling better but that the anger of them falling was fading to total sadness.

Jason stands up slowly. He comes next to me and wraps his arms around me. I put my head in his chest and continue to cry.

He helps me as we make our way back to the ship.