Drowning

The basin filled at an alarming speed. We pounded against the walls looking for an exit but we found nothing.

"I could try lighting. Maybe blast a whole in the roof," Jason says.

"That would bring the whole room crashing in," Piper says.

"Or electrocute us," Percy says.

"Not many choices," Jason says.

"Let me search the bottom," Percy says, "If this place was built as a fountain, there had to be a way to drain the thing. You guys check the niches for exits. Maybe seashells are knobs."

This was desperate but an idea was a good one. Percy jumped into the water. The rest of us climb from niche to niche kicking and pulling things.

Percy breaks the surface flailing and gasping for air. I offer him my hand, but he almost pulls me in.

"Couldn't breath," he choked, "The water... not normal. Hardly made it back."

The water rose around us. It was defiantly draining power.

"Phoebe, any... I don't know horse that could bust in here and get us out?" Piper asks.

I concentrate as hard as I could. There had to be some around, but I couldn't sense anything. I know I saw at least one on the way here.

"I- I can't sense anything. I know they're there. I've seen them," I say.

My muscles shake. The boys faces were pale. Jason couldn't hold his sword. Percy was drenched and shivering. His hair wasn't its usual dark color. I look at mine resting on my shoulder. It wasn't as dark either.

"They're taking our power," Piper says, "draining us."

"Jason," Percy coughs, "do the lightning."

Jason raised his sword. The room rumbled but no lightning came out. The roof didn't break, instead it began to rain the same horrible dark liquid. It burned as it fell.

I move next to Percy. I grab him. He was having trouble keeping himself afloat. Not that I was doing much better.

"Not what I wanted," Jason mumbles.

The water was up to our necks. I could feel my strength fading. Percy pushes the water with the back of his hand.

"Can't- can't control it," he says.

I feel bad. Control water is one of his favorite things to do but now he can't.

I stay next to him. I give him a hug kicking my feet to stay up.

"Percy, stop trying," I say softly. He keeps trying, "Percy!" I say grabbing his hand.

"We can't fight this," Piper says, "if we hold back, it'll only make us weaker."

"What do you mean?" Jason shout over the rain.

The water was up to out chins.

"The horn of plenty," Piper says, "we have to overwhelm the nymphs with fresh water. Give them more than they can use. If we dilute the poisoned stuff-"

"Can your horn do that?" I ask.

I struggle to keep my head above water. I didn't like it. I hadn't ever worried about drowning before. Percy looked as nervous as I was.

"Only with your guy's help," she says, "I need you three to channel everything you got into the cornucopia. Percy think about the sea."

"Salt water?" Percy asks.

"Doesn't matter. As long as it's clean. Phoebe think about horses. And Jason think about rainstorms- much more rain. All of you hold the cornucopia," Piper says.

We all huddle together. All three of us grab the cornucopia while Piper comes up behind us grabbing us to help keep ourselves afloat.

I focus as hard as I can on the stables back at camp. Nothing happened. The rain continued to come down with a sting.

"No good," Jason says.

"We're getting no where," Percy says.

"You have to work together!" Piper cries, "all of you think of clean water. A storm of water. Don't hold anything back. Picture all your power and strength leaving you."

"Not hard to imagine," I say.

"But force it out. Offer it up like your already dead, and your only goal is to help these nymphs. It got to be a gift... a sacrifice," Piper says.

We all get quiet at that word. I think Piper is losing it here.

We all get ready. The silence hangs as we concentrate on clean water. I think of the lake that Travis and I shared our first kiss by. That lake was our meeting place, our save place to be together alone.

Clear water blasted from the horn. It was so forceful it pushed us against the wall. The rain changed to a white torrent. It felt relieving.

"It's working!" Jason cries.

"Too well," Percy says, "we're filling the room even faster!"

He was right. The roof was a few feet away.

"Don't stop. We can't stop until the nymphs are cleansed!" Piper yells.

We keep going. Our head hits the ceiling. I tuck my self next to Percy. Even though we were filling it with clean water the poisoned stuff was still in there. Him and I still couldn't breath in it. I rest my head on his shoulder and he rests his head on my head.

The water floods over our heads. I take breath in. The cornucopia was still flowing. It flows on for moments. I feel my lungs start to tense. I didn't like this. If I died drowning I would end up hades joke in the underworld for the rest of my life.

The water continued to flow out even though there was no more room. Maybe the walls would break open from the pressure.

My vision went dark. I thought the roar in my ears was my dying heartbeat but instead it was the room shaking. The water swirled and I felt myself sink. With one last kick upwards I break the surface. I see Piper appear next to me.

The water drained almost as fast as it filled. On the floor the boys lay on the ground. Percy thrashes before coughing out what little water he had in his lungs. He lays on the floor dazed. Piper clung to Jason's body. He wasn't moving at all.

"Jason!" Piper yelled.

"Pipes, I think I can help," I say.

I kneel next to Jason. I have very little water powers but I can still drawn water to me. I really hoped this works.

I touch Jason's forehead. Water gushed from his mouth and sits in a bubble next to my other hand. I release it and it drop it onto the ground. His eyes flew open and a clap of thunder booms around us.

Jason sits up still gasping, but the color was returning to his face. Piper tackles him in a hug.

I grin, "in case you were wondering that was clean water. I had no problem drawing it out.

"Thanks Pheebs," Jason says, "but I think Piper us the real hero here. She saved us all."

After a small discussion with the now cleaned nymphs we were on our way into a tunnel to go meet the giants.