Bloodshed and Eidolons

We discussed the conversation we had with Bacchus and the boys fight.

"Today on the highway," Piper says, "Gaea told us she needed the blood of two demigods- one female and one male. She asked us to choose who would die," Piper says looking at me.

Percy grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"But neither of us died. You two saved us," Jason says.

"I know. It's just... why would she want that?" I say.

Percy doesn't let go of my hand and I was very grateful for that.

Leo whistled softly. "Guys, remember at the wolf house? Our favorite ice princess, Khione? She talked about spilling Jason's blood, how it would taint the place for generations. Maybe demigods blood has some sort of power?"

"Oh...." Percy says like the horse kicking had just registered. He sets down his pizza and leans forward staring into nothing.

"Percy?" Annabeth asks concerned.

"Oh bad," Percy says, "bad bad bad," he looks across the table at hazel and frank, "you guys remember Polybotes?"

"The giant who invaded camp Jupiter. The anti poseidon you whacked in the head with a Terminus statue? Yes, I think I remember," hazel says.

"I had a dream while we were flying to Alaska," Percy says, "Polybotes was talking to some gorgons, and he says- he says he wanted me and Phoebe prisoners, not killed though. He said: 'I want them chained at my feet. Their blood shall water the stones of Mount Olympus and wake Earth Mother!"

It was my turn to give apercys hsnd a squeeze. He looks at me sympathetically.

"You think the giants would use our blood... the blood of two of us-" Piper says.

"I don't know but until we figure it out, I suggest we all try to avoid getting captured," I say.

"That I agree with," Jason says.

"But how do we figure it out?" Hazel asks," the mark of Athena, the twins, Ella's prophecy... how does it all fit?"

Annabeth presses her hand against the edge of the table. "Piper, you told Leo to set our course for Atlanta."

"Right, Bacchus told us we should seek out... what was his name," Piper asks.

"Phorcys," I say.

"You know him?" Annabeth asks.

"I didn't recognize the name at first. Then bacchus mentioned salt water and it wrong a bell. Phorcys is an sea god from before me dads time. Never met him, but supposedly he's a son of Gaea. I still don't understand what a sea gif would be doing in Atlanta," I say.

Leo snorted. "What's a wine god doing in Kansas? Gods are weird. Anyway, we should reach Atlanta by noon tomorrow, unless something else goes wrong."

"Don't even say that," Annabeth mutters, "it's getting late. We should all get some sleep."

"Wait," Piper says.

We all turn and look at her.

"There's one last thing. The eidolons- the possessing spirits. They're still in this room," Piper says.

We all look around. Finally Hazel exhales.

"Piper is right," hazel says, " I've met eidolons in the underworld when I was.... You know."

Dead. I always forget. Hazel was a second timer.

"So...." Franks says rubbing his head, "you think these things are lurking in the ship?"

"Possibly lurking inside some of us. We don't know," Piper says.

"If that's true-" Jason says.

"We have to take steps. I think I can do this," Piper says.

Percy squeezes my hand kind of aggressively.

"Do what?" Percy asks.

"Just listen ok? Everybody listen," Piper says.

She looked us all over.

"Eidolons raise your hand," Piper says.

Leo laughed nervously, "did you really that was going to-"

His voice died. His face went slack. He raised his hand. Percy and Jason did the same. I try pull my hand out if Percy's but he was still holding tight. Annabeth rushed over and pried his grip off me.

I walk away. When I looked at them again their eyes were glassy and gold. Hazel caught her breath. Next to Leo Frank scramble out of his chair.

"Oh gods," I mumble.

"Can you cure them," Annabeth asks Piper.

"Are there more of you on this ship?" Piper asks.

"No. The earth mother sent three. The strongest, the best. We will live again."

"Not here you won't," Piper growled, "all three of you listen carefully."

Percy and Jason turn towards her.

"You will leave these bodies," Piper says.

"No," Percy says.

Frank fumbles with his bow. "Mars almighty that's creepy. Get out of here spirits. Leave our friends alone."

Leo turned towards him, "You cannot command us, child of war. Your own life is fragile. Your soul could burn at any moment."

Frank staggers back. I didn't know what Leo meant but it obviously scared Frank. He drew an arrow.

"I- I've faced down worse things than you. If you want a-" frank starts.

"Frank don't," hazel says.

Jason drew his sword.

"Stop!" Piper ordered. Her voice quivered. She seemed to be losing control.

"Listen to Piper," hazel says pointing at Jason's sword. It fall out of his hand and he sits down.

Percy growler, "daughter of Pluto, you may control gem and metals but you do not control the dead."

I reached towards him but hazel waved me off. I walk back next to Annabeth concerned.

"Listen eidolons, you do not belong here. I may not command you but Piper does. Obey her!" Hazel says.

"You will leave those bodies," Piper says.

Jason's body tightens, "we will leave these bodies."

"You will vie on the river Styx never to return to this ship and never posses any of its crew members," Piper says.

Leo and Percy hissed in protest.

"You will promise on the river styx," Piper repeats.

All three eidolons spoke in unison," we promise on the river styx."

"You are dead," Piper says.

"We are dead," they agree.

"Now leave."

All three boys slump forward. Percy fell face first into his pizza. Annabeth and I rush to him help him up. Piper goes to Jason and poorcleo falls and no one is there to catch him

"I need to stop hitting my head," Percy mutters.

Annabeth hugs him and gives him a kiss. After Annabeth he turns and gives me a hug.

"Thank you," he mutters to us.

"Thank Piper not us," I say hugging him back.