The Tides Are Turning

Our army of ghosts very basically exactly like demigods. They were so ADHD it was crazy. They basically did everything but fight the enemy. They even fought each other a little.

Meanwhile the army of monsters got thicker and angrier. They had Earthborns throwing rocks and rubble, Empousa shouting orders, a dozen or so Cyclopes advance on the crumbling bridges, and telkhines lobbed vials of Greek fire across the chasm. Even some wild centaurs shooting flaming arrows.

Frank pushes through the monsters until his arrows are spent. Nico was swinging his sword and holding the scepter. Piper and I were fighting the monsters stay back to back to make sure we kept each other safe. And Jason was still shouting commands at the undead legionaries but they paid him no attention.

Looking at all that our situation was grim. The monsters push us closer together until all four of us were standing close. Frank as the only one still on the outside.

We couldn't hold forever. Jason kept shouting at the legions in Latin but it wasn't working. Some were slightly helpful by getting mowed down by monsters so we didn't have to.

"Make way!" Frank shouts.

The legionaries listen. Most even look to him for more orders. Frank made it to us as a wave of Cyclopes crash in on us.

Frank attacks multiple Cyclopes. Jason was deflecting incoming missile with wind. Piper was yelling charmspeak commands at the monsters. I was taking on some of the smaller monsters that slip past.

Nico and Jason kept trying to fight the ghosts.

"Cohorts lock shields!" Frank yells at them.

The zombies stir around him. They line up in front of Frank but slowly and not all listen.

"Frank, how did you do that?" Jason yells.

Frank explains how he's a ranking Roman officer and they don't recognize Jason. Jason didn't look to surprised by this.

Frank shouts more commands that I can't understand at the undead legion. About two dozen zombies obey, struggling to form a defensive ring around us. Most were still walking around in a daze.

"My rank," Frank says, "I'm only a centurion. I can't control the whole legion!"

"Well promote him!" Nico yells at Jason.

Jason shouts in his best drill sergeant voice:" Frank Zhang! I, Jason Grace, praetor if the twelfth legion fulminata, give you my final order: I resign my post and give you emergency field promotion to praetor, with full powers of that rank. Take command of this legion!"

Frank yells another set of commands in Latin. Instantly every legion raise their shields and draw their swords. They push and hack monsters out of the way to get to Frank.

Frank shouts at the legion and the archers send a volley of arrows. Cyclopes fall, centaurs stumble, and a telkhine shrieks and runs in circles with a burning arrow impaled in his forehead.

Nico let out a laugh. I've barely ever seen him do that, which is saying something, "That's more like it," Nico says.

"Let's turn this tide," I say.

I have to take a moment to just appreciate that awful joke I accidentally made. If Leo was here he would have appreciated that joke.

The zombie line thickens. Cyclopses try and push though but they can't. Soon the floor was covered in monster dust. The archers shoot gryphons out of the air.

Franks forces begin to take control of the other side of the cavern. Frank was going through giving us all commands. He gets to me last.

"Watch all our backs!" He yells.

Whatever lets me fight monsters.

I watch the monsters slicing down some hellhounds that pounces at Piper.

The legionaries move forward, keeping up the pressure on her forces. The battle rages and it seems to be falling in our direction.