Making Our Way

In no time I was completely lost. As soon as hazel picks a path it would change and spilt again. We wound our way through interconnecting tunnels.

"This way," Hazel points, "it's the only one that won't collapse on us."

"Good choice," I say.

My skin tingles as we go further. I wonder if it was the poison. Cold air brushes my face and I hear voices coming from other corridors.

We reach an archway carved in the shape of human skulls. Most normal people would be appalled but this isn't even the worst thing I've ever seen.

"This is the entrance to the second level. I better take a look," Hazel says running her hand along the skulls, "no traps on the doorway, but... something is strange here. My underground sense is fuzzy here. Like someone is working against me, hiding what's ahead of us."

"The sorceress you were warned about?" I ask.

"The one Leo saw in his dream? What was her name?" Asks Jason.

Hazel chews her lip, "It would be safer not to say her name. But stay alert. From this point on, the dead are stronger than the living."

I wasn't sure how she knew but I believe her. The voices in the darkness seem to whisper louder. My eyes drift around seeing movements in the shadows.

"Where are the monsters?" Frank asks, "I though Gaea had an army guarding the doors."

"Don't know," I say looking around, "At this point is prefer a straight up fight."

"Careful what you wish for," says Leo, "Personally I hope no one is home. We can go get Percy and Annabeth, destroy the doors if death, and maybe stop at the gift shop on the way out."

"Yeah," Jason says, "cause they'll happen."

The tunnel shakes. Rubble rained down from the ceiling.

"That was close," Hazel says, "These passageways won't take much more of this."

"The doors of death, they opened again," nico says, "Now, we need to hurry. Percy and Annabeth are close. And in danger. I can feel it."

My body tenses up. If the two of them were in trouble I was going to help them.

The deeper we travel the wider the corridors widen. The tunnels were wide enough to hold giant monsters.

All of my demigod instincts told me to turn back but that wasn't an option.

Leo held his fire close to the walls. There was Ancient Greek graffiti on the walls. Most of them were prayers.

The floors are littered with silver coins and ceramic shards.

"Offerings?" I guess.

"Yes," nico says, "if you want your ancestors to appear you made an offering."

We collectively decided not to make an offering. Hazel warns us the tunnel is unstable and we needed to step exactly where she steps.

We walk directly behind her, trying not to make a wrong move. Suddenly line in front had stop.

Frank looks like he was having some sort of panic attack. After he has calmed back down Hazel decides to forge ahead of us for a moment to go scout the next room.

When she came back her face was drawn and pensive, "Scary room ahead," hazel warned, "Don't panic."

We all follow Hazel into the cavern. The place was like a circular cathedral. Dozens of tunnels led off to different directions each with its own gloomy echoing voice.

The floor was especially scary. It was a mosaic of bones and gems. The bones made a pattern like a human contortionist tumbling together, curling to protect the precious stones.

"Touch nothing," Hazel says.

"Wasn't planning on it," mutters Leo.

I scan the exits, "Which way now?"

For once Nico looks uncertain, "This should be the room where the priest invoked the most powerful spirits. One of those passages leads deeper into the temple, to the third level and to the altar of hades himself. But which-"

"That one," Frank says pointing confidently.

Apparently Frank can see some sort of ghost beckoning him that way, which wasn't always a good sign to follow.

The tunnel begins to vibrate under us.

"We need to get to that exit. Now!" Frank yells

Hazel got back in front and we all follow her through the passage frank choose.

The cave was weirdly instantly fills with monstrous roars. They came from every direction.

Nico insists Hazel to not stop. We had to push through this. We all drawl our weapons ready to fight.

The monsters spill into the caverns. I stay close to Nico, Jason, and Piper.

As bad as this was it kind of felt good. Maybe I had some pent up aggression that I needed to let out. And what better time on a mob of monsters.

We put up a really good fight but the monsters push us back to the point we're at the edge of the chasm.

We were surrounded by hellhounds and Cyclopes. It reminds me of his king it's been since I last saw Tyson. I guess I miss both my brothers.

More monsters kept funneling out from the side corridors. We would never make it. Even if Jason tried to fly us out we'd be shot down. Our only hope now was Frank, Hazel, and Leo, but they look as lost as we did.

"Nico!" Frank yells, "Use the scepter."

Nico raises the scepter and the cavern shimmers purple. Ghost in Roman legion gear appear from out of the ground and walls.

Jason yells in Latin different commands at them. The undead shuffle among the monsters, causing momentary confusion, but it wouldn't last.

Some Cyclopes through huge ricks the trios way. When the dust clears the only one still visible is Frank.

The entire wall had collapsed with Hazel and Leo on the other side.

Frank looks the angriest I've ever seen him. He turns towards the hoard of monsters and charges.

150 chapters!!!! Omg this is so awesome! I can't believe I even wrote this far. Thx for reading 🗡🌊✨💖🔱