Caught

At first it was easy. Which is how you know something was wrong.

I stayed close to my brother in the middle just as Annabeth had said. But of course something goes wrong.

"I'm gonna try and take a couple down," Percy whispers to me.

"No. In the middle of all these giants. We'll get seen. Leave it to Annie and Piper," I say.

As we walk groups of giants watch us. Even in our disguises I felt like they could see right through us.

Apparently I was right. We get towards the front of the group of earthborns. Fir some reason the magic around us wavers. Not substantially but enough for the giants to notice.

A couple of them grab at both of us. I dodge the first one grasp but I get caught by another. The mist crumpled around me. I find myself in a large hand next to my brother.

I see another giant come next to us. She was holding Annabeth like a fertile cat.

Percy and I struggle and wiggle but the giants grip was to tight. I feel him reach for my hand. It was hard but we were able to grasp each s others hands.

We were displayed to the hoard of monsters around us. King Porphyrion eyes gleamvwith malice.

"Right on time!" The giant king bellows, "The blood of Olympus to raise the earth mother!"

I had to think of something, anything. I focus in on my worst memories. Percy falling, Travis in trouble, all my friends dying. I try desperately to get the ground to shake. I let go of everything I had been bottling up. All the fear and anger. It flows over me but all I get is a small jerk.

"Foolish girl," says Enceladus, "The Earthmother is to strong here. She has more control over this ground than you."

And now I'm helpless as well as extra angry and scared. There would have been a time that my earthquakes not working would have been amazing, but the one time I need them they stop.

Porphyrion rises from his throne. He looks over us watching our struggle, "They arrived just as you foresaw, Enceladus! We'll done."

"It was simple my king," he says gripping me and my brother tighter, "I knew these three would lead the assault. I understand how they think. Athena and Poseidon... they were just like these children. Their arrogance has undone them!"

The crowd roars as the giants hold us up like trophies. Piper was our last hope. They expected us three, but not Piper.

"It's... it's hopeless," Percy whispers.

Maybe it was the extra anger I was feeling after letting it loose but that comment got me fired up.

"It can't be helpless," I growl in a whisper, "I'm going to get back to camp. Back to Travis. Understand me? I don't care if I only see him one more time and die right afterwards. I will see him again."

Percy looks somewhere between shocked and impressed. He grips my hand tighter, "You'll get back."

I smile at him. Piper will do something. She wouldn't just leave us.

Annabeth tries to say something, but the giantess Periboia shakes her by the neck, "Shut up! None of your silver toy fed trickery!" The princess draws a knife the size of a sword, "Let me do the honors, father!"

"Wait daughter," the king says, "not her," he looks my way, "those two. Now the sacrifice must be done properly. Thoon, destroyer of the fates, come forward."

The wizened grey eyed giant shuffled into the sunlight. He fixes his eyes on me. Percy shouts. At the other end of the acropolis, a hundred yards away, a geyser of water shoots into the sky.

"You'll have to do better than that son of Poseidon," the king says with a laugh, "as we informed your sister, the earth is to powerful here. Even your father wouldn't be able to summon more than a salty spring. But never fear. The only liquid we require from you is your blood!"

He turns to face his crowd. But instead of looking at them he looks at the ground.

"Mother Gaea..." he says in an impossibly low voice, "In ancient times, blood mixed with soil created life. Now let these demigods return the favor. We bring you full wakefulness. We greet you as our eternal mistress."

At that moment Piper leaps out from behind a scaffolding. She sails over the head of giants and ogres, landing in the center of the courtyard. Thoon tries to hit her with his meat clever but she takes he sword and cuts his hand off his wrist.

The old giant wails. Her mist disguise burns off her. She was again just a girl.

"What is this?" Porphyrion thunders, "How dare this weak, useless creature interrupt?"

That seemed to be the last straw for Piper. Her face goes cold. She lets out a battle cry and attacks.