Welcome To St. Louis

"Wake up," I say nudging my brother a little.

He sits and rubs his face.

" we're on a quest, not spring break. While you were zonked out, Grover found us way west," says Annabeth.

Grover continues to mumble to the dog in his lap.

"Grover, are you talking to that thing?" My brother asks.

"He's not a thing. His name Gladiola. And I am half animal," says Grover.

"Well yeah, buts it's the bottom half," says Percy.

"Your hopeless," I say.

"Gladiola ran away from a rich local family, but he's willing to let us return him so that we can collect the reward. We'll use the money to buy out tickets to L.A., simple," says Annabeth.

"Not another bus," I hear my brother mumble.

"Not a bus, a train station. It's a half mile away. Gladiola says the westbound train leaves at noon," I say.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We're on the train heading west. We only have eight days until the summer solstice.

On one side of the car is my brother and Grover and next to me is Annabeth. She's a little distance for some reason but not as cold to me as she is Percy.

We look out the window to see a stampede of what looks like Chiron.

"Centaurs, all wild except Chiron," says Annabeth.

"i don't get it. Grover and Mrs. Dodds we're in disguise, but how come nobody noticed this other stuff? Three furies on a bus fill of passengers has to make the front page. Even in a place as weird as New Jersey," says my brother.

"Mist. The Iliad is full of references to the stuff. Whenever gods or monsters mix with the human realm it creates mist. It doesn't effect half-bloods but it makes mortals see different things," says Annabeth.

"I guess that makes sense," I say.

Over the intercom they announce that there will be a three hour delay in St. Louis. Annabeth gets up.

"Where are you going?" My brother asks.

"It's been five years since I've been out of camp, so I say we do some sightseeing," says Annabeth.

Obviously the first place we stop is the arch.

"Arches are beautiful in their simplicity aren't they?" She says to me.

"I guess," I say with a shrug.

"Of course, I would've made the windows on this larger. And probably added a see through floor. It's not like the tensile strength of the building material can't support it," she says.

"Whatever you say." I say.

"Sorry if I ramble. Architecture is sort of a hobby of mine. Some day I'm going to build monuments like this but better," she says.

"I'm sure you will," I say approvingly.

"The observation deck will be closing in five minutes. Please make you way to the elevators at either side of the room," says a man.

We head to one of the cars. Grover and annabeth step in.

"Both cars are full. You'll have to wait for the next one," says the man.

"No problem at all," says a woman next to us.

As the door shuts annabeth and Grover look at us worried.

"Very well, if you insist sonny," says the lady to her dog.

"Sonny? Is that you chihuahuas name? I don't suppose he has any pink poodles in his family," my brother says.

"Not a Chihuahua godling!" She says.

Godling, oh crap we're screwed. Assuming she's like all the other monsters we've fought so far.

She begins to inflate up a little and growing scales.

"Chimera. It's an easy mistake to make. And I am his family. I'm enchidna. Mother of monsters," she says.

The chimera shift into a lion looking thing. It shoot fire at us and we jump out of the way. I pull out Tidal Wave and uncap it to reveal the sane pen from the museum. My brother follows and does the same.

We put up a fight with it until it's tail of a snake swings at my brother and he looses his sword out of a broken window. I take another lunge at it before it pounces at me. It's horns force the sword out of my grasp and throws it out the same window my brothers went.

I look to my brother and realize the snake hadn't just knocked out the sword but but him too.

"Jump, Jackson Twins. A more pleasing end awaits you out there than on here, for the venom near your heart. Die flattered godling. Rarely I'd a half-blood allowed to be tested by my brood," says enchidna.

I wrap my arms around my brothers torso and haul him off the edge of the arch. I let out a scream as we drop.

"Gotcha," Grover says grabbing me and Percy with his flying shoes, "too heavy!" He flys rampidly until we land in the river.

When we hit the water he lets go. I watch my brother float further down so I follow him. I keep my breath held for as long as possible.

I come next to my brother who's I front of a blue lady.

"Mom?" He asks.

Did he just talk.

"No children , only a messenger. Although you may take heart, your mothers fate is not as hopeless as it seems," she says.

"Am I breathing?" Asks Percy.

"You two have nothing to fear in you fathers kingdom," she says.

I let out my breath the take a little breath in. No water, so I take a deeper one until I'm breathing like usual.

"I do not have much time for this water is too foul for me. I'm a nereid, a spirit of the sea. But the naiads, my freshwater cousins, are helping sustain my life force. They honor lord Poseidon, though they do not serve his court," she says.

"If our father is so interested in us why isn't he here? Why doesn't he pay us a visit," I say.1

"Bear him no Ill will. The gods may not show favoritism to their kids. That is why I have come to give you a warning and a gift. The oracles have foretold a great and terrible future for you two if you reach adulthood. Therefore take these pearls. When you are in need smash then at you feet. And remember... what belongs to the sea can always return to the sea," she says.

I take the four Pearson out of her hand and place them in my pocket. She begins to swim away when my brother stops her.

"Wait, about the warning?!" He yells.

"Hades feeds on doubts and hopelessness. He will trick you if he can cause you to mistrust you own judgment. Once you are in his kingdom, he will never willingly let you leave. Keep faith children. Go with what your heart tells you or you will lose all," she says finally leaving.

I catch a glimpse of my sword in the distance. Percy's is not far away. We make our way to and grasp then before floating back to the top of the river. Once we make it to land we go find Annabeth and Grover.

" we can't leave you alone for five minutes! What happened?" Annabeth says.

" we ran into a chimera and his mommy, and then I jumped hauling him with me. You know typical sightseeing stuff," I say.

" not that I am unappreciative, but do you think next time your dad can keep me dry, too?" Says grover still drenched.

" Forget about that. This place is crawling with cops, probably monsters, too. Let's get back to the train," says Annabeth.