We Beat Victory

Leo spent the last two minutes of our five lecturing Frank and I on Archimedean mechanics. I hoped I understood it.

Leo was finishing telling Frank how to not get decapitated by his own archimedes sphere when the trumpets blew.

"Begin!" Yells the goddess.

Leo and I sprint through the archway. Immediately, the field shimmered and became a maze of brick walls and trenches. We duck behind the nearest wall and run left.

Back at the archway Frank yells: "Uh.. die Graecus scum!"

A poorly aimed arrow flys over my head.

"Moor vicious!" Yells Nike, "Kill like you mean it!"

Leo glances at me, "Ready?"

I pull out the bronze grenade, "I hope you labeled these right," I say, "Die Roman's!" I yell lobbing the grenade over the wall.

BOOM! I couldn't see the explosion but I could smell the popcorn.

"Oh no!" Hazel wails, "Popcorn! Our fatal weakness!"

Frank shot another arrow. Leo and I scramble to the left, ducking through a maze of walls that seem to shift and turn in their own. As the labyrinth does I guess.

Somewhere behind us Nike yells: "Try harder, that popcorn wasn't fatal!"

Another grenade explodes over our heads. Leo and I dove into the trench as the Greek fire explodes. Fortunately Frank had aimed high enough so it only looked impressive.

"Better," Nike calls out, "but where is your aim? Do you want this circlet if leaves?"

"Is there even a small chance we can run her over with horses?" I ask.

"Possibly. Patience horse girl," says Leo.

"Don't call me horse girl," I say.

Leo points across the field. The walls had shifted revealing one of the Nikai about thirty yards away, standing with its back to us.

"I distract," says Leo, "You attack. Ready?"

I nod, "go."

I dash left and climb into the trench. I stay as silent as possible waiting for Leo to get its attention.

Once he had it I came up behind her and slashed her in the waist.

"Foul!" The victory goddess cries, "you do not attack the Nikai unless you wish to die!"

A trench appears in the goddess path, causing her horses to freak out. Leo and I run for cover. I see Frank crushing another Nikai. Only two more to go.

The victory goddess loses it. She says our lives have been forfeited and now the Nikai are suppose to attack us.

Leo and I leap behind a wall. We lay there for a second trying to catch our breaths. It was harder to keep out bearing witch I guess was the plan. With any luck it was confusing the crazy goddess and her metal minions.

"Leo," I say, "I just want to say Percy does feel bad about calypso. He tried and he failed her. He asked the gods to free her but.... Well you know the gods. It might not be the same coming from my mouth but-"

"Sympathy later lady," Leo says distracted.

"No Leo listen. What I'm say is I almost positive Percy wants to help. Something happened with him down on Tartarus. I don't know what is particularly but he's been feeling bad about her since he came back. Not like he's still into her but that he had t checked in on the gods. Please don't count him out yet. Talk to him," I say.

"He has no feeling for her?" Asks Leo.

"None. He's all in on Annabeth. I promise," I say.

That seemed to please him.

"Ok one left I wonder-" I start.

Somewhere close Hazel cries out in pain. Instantly Leo was on his feet.

"Dude wait!" I yell.

He didn't wait. I get up and chase after him. I see Hazel limping away from her attacker. Her left leg was bleeding. She parried the metal ladies spear with her huge cavalry sword, but she was about to be overpowered. All around her magic flickered like dying strobe light.

"I'll help her," I say, "You stick to the plan. Get Nikes chariot."

"But the plan was to eliminate all four Nikai first!"

"So change the plan and then stick to it!"

"That doesn't even make sense, but go! Help her!" Yells Leo.

I run in to hazels defense. I was good but the metal can was better. Leo and Frank were distracting the goddess.

I stayed sparring with the metal warrior. When I said she was good I meant it.

"Phoebe!" Yells Leo, "Operation water balloon."

I'm slightly busy getting smacked around. The Nikai hit my in the gut pushing me backswatds with the butt of her spear. She threw her wreath at me and it knocked my sword out of my hand. I stumbled. The metallic lady moves in gif the kill.

Somewhere Leo shot some fire because it hit the metal lady and her face literally melted off. It staggers and raises her spear. Before she could regain balance Hazel thrusts her spatha and impales her through the chest. The metal minion crashes into the grass.

I turn towards the goddess chariot. It passes over Leo sunken grenade. A geyser explodes flipping the goddess, her chariot, and the horses.

Hazel collapses and I catch her. Frank comes running to us. Leo finishes off the goddess. He traps her in his bronze net. I could hear her cursing from across the field.

All of us looked pretty fine. Hazel was the worst but she did a little to much magic. The four of us walk back over to the goddess.

"What do we do with her?" I ask.

"Take her aboard the Argo ll," says Leo, "Chuck her into the horse stables."

"You're going to keep the goddess of victory in a horse stable?" Asks Hazel.

"Why not?" Asks Leo, "Once things are sorted out between Greeks and Roman's, the gods should go back to their normal selves and she can.... You know grant us victory."

"Grant you victory!" The goddess cries, "never! You will suffer for this outrage! Your blood shall be spilled! One if you here- one of you four- is fated to die in battle!"

We drill her fir a solid five minutes trying to get her to tell us more but all we get is poison of pylos, a chained gods heartbeat in Sparta, and a curse of Delos. And something called the physicians cure.

Frank takes off one of his shoes and shoved it in the goddesses mouth to get her to shut up.

"Dude, that's disgusting," I say.

"Mppppphhhhh!" Nike complains.

"Leo," Frank says, "Got any duct tape?"

"Never leave home without it," says Leo handing it to Frank.

He wraps it around the goddesses mouth, "not a laurel wreatg but a new kind of victory circle: a gag of duct tape."

"Zhang, you got style," says Leo.

Nike thrashes and grunts until I nudge her with my toe, "behave if we'll get Arion back. He loves eating gold. This wings will be a nice treat for him."

"So...." Says Hazel, "we have tied up goddess. Now what?"

"We look for the physicians cure.... Whatever that is," says Frank, "because perSonally I like cheating death."

Leo grins, "poison in pulls? A chained gods heartbeat in Sparta? A curse in Delos? Oh yah. This is gonna be fun!"