Killermare - Lonely

Killer POV:

I was quite sad. Merciless had just moved out. Not out of hate or anything, he just...became an adult. Like my other children. It seems like just yesterday they could barely talk. I was stting on my bed, staring at a picture of Merciless and Crescent that they'd recently recreated. Merciless was standing precariously on Crescent's tentacles and they were both smiling. They have grown so much. I felt a tear run down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly. Angst had recreated one of his older pictures recently too. It was one of him holding the first knife he summoned. The recreation had him holding the same knife. It was now duller and had a bit of rust on it. I smiled at it. Soon more tears fell down my cheeks. I heard the door to the room creak open. In the doorway stood Nightmare. He looked at my state worriedly. He came over and sat beside me.

"You miss them?" He asked. I nodded. He pulled me onto his lap and hugged me. "I know. I do too." I leaned into his chest and sobbed quietly. "We can always go visit them. How about we go see Cres tomorrow?" I smiled a little. Crescent had a little family now with his fiancée, Gradient. I nodded onto his chest. I watched Nightmare grab his phone and text Crescent.

"Can we visit Merciless sometime soon?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"Let's give him a week or two. He needs to adjust to being alone." Nightmare rubbed slow circles on my back. I calmed down quickly. "On the bright side, we get more time alone, right?"

"I guess..." I replied. "They grew up too fast!" I complained.

"I know." He picked up his phone again. "Crescent says we can come tomorrow." I smiled.

"Good." I said.

"Also, I got us a book we can read together." I looked up. Nightmare had brought over a book with a tentacle. He dropped it in my arms. The title was:

Dealing With Empty Nest Syndrome

"It's a book about dealing with being alone once your kids leave." Nightmare explained. "I do really miss them too."

"Thanks Nighty." I said.

We began reading the book together.

~A Month Later~

Nightmare POV:

I woke up earlier than I usually did. I shrugged it off and got up. I quickly changed and walked back over to the bed. I gave Killer a little kiss on his cheek and walked out. I walked downstairs and heard voices. 'Who's in my castle?' I thought. I sharpened my tentacles and crept over to the kitchen, where the voices were.

"You surrrrrrreeee?" One of them asked.

"Pfft. You worry too much dummy." Another replied.

I peeked around the corner. It was the kids. Crescent, Angst, and Merciless were all standing in the kitchen. Angst and Merciless were setting up a small banner. Crescent was watching with a skeptical expression. Did they all meet up to surprise me and Killer. I looked at Crescent and our eyes met. We blinked at each other.

"Hi dad." He said with a wave before giggling.

Merciless and Angst turned around and saw me. Merciless teetered on the chair he was on and fell backwards. He fell right onto Angst who caught him. I laughed. I walked out and over to them.

"Were you three idiots trying to surprise us?" I asked. They nodded.

I walked over and hugged them all. They returned the hugs.

"Thanks. You can still surprise Kills though." I told them.

I helped them set up the rest of their surprise party-thing. They even had a little cake. I walked up and saw Killer sitting up in our bed. I crept up behind him and hugged him.

"Hi Night." He said sleepily. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"There's a surprise downstairs." I told him.

He got up and I held his hand as we walked downstairs. He was still missing our kids quite a lot. He's gonna be so happy in a moment. We walked into the kitchen and the kids all turned to him. Killer gasped.

"Hi mom!" They shouted happily. They all ran over and hugged him.

Killer hugged back. I noticed he began crying too. As they let go I hugged him too. They were happy tears though.

We all spent the day together, just like if the kids were younger. Well, excluding the fact that Angst gave Killer a piggyback ride.
We all had a lot of fun. I'm glad we succeeded enough as parents so that our kids will come visit us too. I love them so much. And Killer, of course.

————————————————————————

782 words