Mommare - Follow the Stars

Nightmare POV:

I woke up at around 2:00 am. That's not unusual for me now. I got up and couldn't see anywhere in front of me. I forgot how dark my castle gets. My eyes adjusted quickly and I got up to head out for some coffee.

I walked out before the lights of the castle turn on. They turn on at 7 on the dot. Why? I don't know. They've done that as long as I've lived here. I don't mind since it wakes my little idiots up for me.

I made my way to the kitchen. Then I heard quiet sobbing sounds. I deducted that it was coming from near the counter. I walked over and saw Killer curled up near the cabinets.

"Killer? Are you okay?" I called out quietly to him. He looked around frantically.

"Nightmare..? Where are you??" He asked, still looking around.

Right. He probably can't see in this darkness. The natural negativity in this castle tends to basically blind people in this darkness. I can due to my amounts of negativity.

"I'm just in front of you." I said to the little kid. "I'm gonna pick you up now, okay?" I saw
Killer nod, still looking around frantically. I reached down and gently picked him up.

He fell onto my chest, still quite nervous. I walked back to his room and placed him back on his bed.

"Stay here, okay? Try to get more sleep." I told him. Killer nodded and snuggled into his blankets. I patted his head lovingly and then walked out. I need a way to light up the halls at night since I can't figure out my own castle's light system.

Like a nightlight, but not. Those don't have enough power to beat the negative darkness of this castle. Maybe some glow in the dark things. The darkness mostly tries to smother bright light sources. It just needs to be bright enough for the kids to see it and follow it. Maybe some glow in the dark stars. Those come on many colors... I smiled a little at the thought. Now I just need to get them.

...

I returned from the store right as the lights turned on. Passive materialized beside me.

"I still don't know what's going on in that darkness. It's suffocating. Doesn't even let me teleport." He said in sign language. He can't talk since he's a ghost.

"If it's too much, you can always stay with me during the night. Don't hurt yourself, even if you are a ghost." Passive smiled and nodded at my reply.

He stayed beside me as I made breakfast for the kids as they came out. I gave them each their breakfast. Killer seemed extra tired.

I sent them to play in the living room after. Then I took out the stars. I had grabbed as many colors as I could. Blue, red, green, pink, purple, orange, yellow, all of them. I started by using the stars to lead them to my room. I started at Dust's, since his room is the furthest away. I gave his door the purple stars. As I went from door to door—Horror was red, Killer was blue, and Cross was yellow—I began intertwining the colors of the stars and eventually had them all fade to a line of green stars, that were probably closer to teal, that led to my room. I put the stars around my door as I had the kids'. Passive was watching, quite intrigued.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Dust with a sleepy Killer.

"What're you doing, Nightmare?" Dust asked.

"You can just call me Night, Dust. And I'm making it so you can, hopefully, see in the dark. These little stars will glow. Does Killer need a nap?" Dust nodded. I returned it and picked up Killer.

I walked to Killer's room and placed the skeleton in bed. I walked back out to see Dust staring at me.

"Need something else?" I asked. He looked at the ground.