Drink - It's Okay to Not be Okay

I'm not fully back up and running yet, but I had motivation for the first time since the last oneshot. So sorry if it's not great.

Ink POV:

I walked back into the base and...well something just felt off. I wandered through the house, trying to figure out what it was, until I got to Dream's room. His door was open a crack. I crept up to the door and looked in. Dream was pacing back and forth and seemed very...distraught. He was muttering, but I couldn't quite hear. I turned my head to the side to try and listen better.

"...gh? I can't tell him though! I have to be okay, I'm always okay....They'll think I'm weak...I can't let them down. I'm okay...I'm okay. I'm always okay...I have to be okay. I'm the guardian of positivity. I'm never not okay!" Dream continued as I turned back to watch him.

I felt so bad. That...it sounds like he has too much pressure on his back.

"Dream?" I asked, opening the door a little. He took in a quick breath and smiled.

"Inky! Welcome back!" He ran over and hugged me. I just sighed. "Is something wrong? Inky?" He asked.

"I'm fine." I said. "Are you okay? I heard you muttering to yourself..." His smile faltered for a moment, then he chuckled.

"I'm okay, Ink. Did you need something?" I frowned.

"Dream, you can tell me. We're in a relationship for a reason. It won't work if you bottle everything up." I said gently.

"I'm not though? I'm fine." He smiled again. I walked up over to his bed and sat us both down.

"Dream, you were freaking out a moment ago. I just want you to feel okay. I promise you I'm not gonna judge you. I'm your lover. That's not what lovers do." I hugged him close. "And I love you." Dream rested his head against my chest, he seemed to be thinking.

Then he began to cry. And that turned into sobbing. I patted his back and hugged him tighter.

"I-I'm sorry! I shouldn't be crying..." I pulled away from him, making him look at me.

"Don't apologize. Dream, when was the last time you just...cried, Let it all out?"

"I-I'm not sure...I think it was before the villagers came!" He broke down again and fell back into my grasp. I hugged him close again.

"Then go ahead. Cry." He looked up at me confused. "Let all of it out Dream." I smiled at him.

"But I can't! I'm supposed to be okay. Perfect! I can't cry-!"

"Says who?" That seemed to stun him. "If anyone gets mad at you for crying I will throw them into the void. Even guardians need a chance to just cry. I've cried."

"But-"

"It's okay Dream. It's okay to not be okay. That's always okay. No one's constantly okay."

"But...I...I have to be..." He said. I sighed.

"No you don't. Let's take a break okay? Just me and you for a few days. No stress, no people, no standards. Just me and you." I offered. Dream nodded. I leaned down and kissed him. "Great. Now, what do you wanna do? This is you, but the way. Not what I want, not what anyone else wants. You."

"Can...can we play a card game me and Nighty used to play? I haven't in...centuries and I want to relive that game..." he said quietly. I nodded.

"Let's go then. And please remember, it's okay to not be okay. I'll always be here for you."

I picked Dream up and began walking downstairs. He giggled.

"Thank you Inky."

"Anytime."

———————————————————————

593 words