Inkmare - An Unlikely Meeting

Requested by @FinchTheArtMaker

Nightmare POV:

"Can you four just STOP?!" I shouted at my team. "I'm done hearing you fight tonight!"

"But Dust is being snarky!" Killer retorted.

"You were saying I was hallucinating!"

"Shut up!" I shouted into the middle of it. "I'm going for a walk. And by the time I get back, you better be done fighting!" I stormed out of the castle.

I walked through the destroyed remains of this au. I knew I was outside of the borders of the negativity shielding the castle, but I didn't care.  I ended up leaving the au to a surface one. I was in a field. Why this was the entry point, I do not know. I walked a few feet away and laid down. It felt oddly calming. Just me, the swaying grass, and the-

"Hi Nightmare!" Voice?! I shot up and was face to face with Ink? Why is he here? I fell back and sighed. "Nightmare?"

"Why aren't you attacking me? Aren't you supposed to save aus from monsters like me?"

"But are you attacking it?" The squidiot has a point.

"Just leave me alone." I mumbled. The Protector didn't say anything else, but I heard him sit down a little ways away.

I ignored it and tried to relax.

...

I woke up to find it dark out. And there was a paper next to me. It was a sketch of me sleeping in the grass...with Ink's signature. I hate to admit it, but it looks really good. I took the paper and folded it up. Then I went home.

To find my idiots asleep on the floor together. Of course. I took them all to their rooms and then went to mine. I unfolded the picture and put it on my nightstand.
Who knew he could draw that well. I sat in my bed, wide awake since I just slept. And Ink stayed in the back of my mind. Why was he so respectful? He seemed a lot nicer when I wasn't fighting him.

...

Ink POV:

I went back to the au I found Nightmare in. I want to see him again. Drawing him was fun. Especially the tentacles. I found myself doodling him as I waited. Then I drew an angry little blob with tentacles and called it 'Angy Noot Blob'. I'm so smart~. I chuckled to myself as the grass swayed calmly in the wind.

"Is that really what I look like to you?" I looked up and saw Nightmare standing over me.

"Hi!" I patted the spot next to me and he sat down.

"You didn't answer my question, Protector."

"What question?" He asked me a question?

"Is that what I look like to you?" He pointed to Angy Noot Blob.

"Oh!" I laughed. "Yeahh." I rolled onto my back.

"You are a...questionable person."

"I know." I sat up and grabbed my sketchbook again. "Can I draw you again?"

"Eh, sure." I smiled and told Nightmare to pick a position. He did and I began drawing him.

We talked as I drew. Turns out Nightmare is actually quite a normal skeleton. Little grumpy sometimes, but hey, aren't we all? He even said he used to draw when he was younger. So when the sun began to set, I gave him a turn. He had trouble because his goop kept seeping into the page. But in the end it actually looked really good. I loved it. Nightmare chuckled when I told him I liked it.

"Don't lie to me. I was never good at it." He said.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not good at drawing."

"Yes you are!! This is amazing!"

"No one else thought it was." He looked towards the setting sun. I gave him a questioning look. "Back when I was younger, no one thought I could draw well. So I kept trying. It was still bad. So I eventually gave up. Despite Dream urging me to continue. Until I gave up on that life." He explained. I didn't know what life he was talking about.

"What do you mean 'old life?'." I asked.

"Nothing important. I don't want to elaborate."

"Okay! Can you draw me? I want to see what I look like in your style." I asked.

"Sure." I sat in front of him and Nightmare chuckled. "I already had a pose in mind, so you don't need to do that, Artist."

"Awh. Oh well! I'll just watch ya!" I crawled up to Nightmare and rested my head on his shoulder.

I really liked Nightmare. He's scary on the outside, but soft on the inside. He also like to brag about his team like they're his children. I find that so sweet. It really shows how nice he can be. And he never gets upset that I'm soulless or that I make rude jokes. He just laughs at it. I like him. Probably more than I should.

Do I love him? It's been two days. But he's so nice...even though we're technically enemies.

"Ink." That was the first time he used my actual name. "Look at me."

I looked at him. Our faces a few mere centimeters apart. Then he kissed my nose. I blushed. Like a lot. And Nightmare started laughing. I fell back onto the grass and covered my face.
Then I felt a weight on top of me. I cracked open an eye socket to see Nightmare laying on me.

"Why don't we just spend the night together, Artist. We won't get other times."

"Can we arrange other times?" I asked. I really did wanna spend more time with him.

"Yep" Nightmare said. He handed me my sketchbook back. It was a drawing of me sitting in a field of flowers, looking up at the night sky. A message was written in the corner, in Nightmare's fancy handwriting.

'Feel free to text me, Protector.' And his number. I blushed.

Dang you and your abilities to feel what I'm feeling Nightmare. I love you...

————————————————————————

1002 words