2ND GEAR - FIRST ENCOUNTERS CAN NEVER BE UNLUCKY

A world full of magic is something wonderful until you realize that you cannot use magic at all.

That is why I, Jonathan Wardenorth, am a cursed being. Being born as a normal person in a world of spellcasters is hell by itself. I was defective in the magical society for my entire life.

My involvement in the magical society started when I was four years old when my father brought me to a Speedmage Tournament. It was the most popular sport of modern magic where mages from different countries participate and race to become the fastest human alive.

My eyes are filled with joy when I saw mages speed up and leave colorful contrails on the ground. I saw an awesome display of spells and maneuvering skills of the players. The thrill of being the fastest runner in the magical society makes me want to be a Speedmage too.

However, my dreams were crushed when I was five years old. I had myself checked in the hospital for my magical aptitude.

"You better give it up. Jonathan does not have any magical circuits in his body. There is no way he will be able to cast a spell his entire life." The magical doctor said.

It was the most heartbreaking revelation of my entire life. My dreams of becoming a Speedmage crumbled at a young age. Heck, I will never become a magus at this rate, much to the disappointment of my parents who are well-known spellcasters.

My terminal of despair is to watch the Speedmage Tournament on our old magical TV. I watched awesome moves and spells of Speedmages every time I get depressed. Little by little, the Speedmage Tournament became the very icon of my sorrow.

Once, my parents saw me crying right in front of the magical TV screen. I was so sad that my tears and snot are flowing down my chin.

"Mom, Dad... Can I become like them?" I pointed at the Speedmages on the TV screen.

"Jonathan!" My mother and father hugged me tightly to comfort me. They never answered my question with either yes or no. They do not want to hurt my feelings.

But I know deep inside myself that I will never be like them.

It's not just my dreams that were shattered. My whole life was ruined before it ever began. Most kids refused to play with me because I cannot cast magic. That may be the reason why I grew up with no friends or acquaintances. People looked at me with judging eyes, both with pity and disgust.

Over the years, I've gotten used to the treatment of the people around me. I became antisocial, aloof, and not caring about anything in the world. I despise magic and mages all my life. I gave up on idolizing Speedmages. I hate this magical world I was born into.

I have no other way to live but to live a normal life; a boring useless life without the help of any magic. The only way for me to have a decent living is to become a merchant in this world. In this way, I can still secure my future without suffering from my defect.

As soon as I turned eighteen, I enrolled myself in Saint Crusade Academy, the most prestigious school in our country. I took up a course on commerce for me to expand my knowledge in the world of business.

Unfortunately, the Saint Crusade Academy is the home of many prestigious mages. Houses of royal bloodline all over the continent go to this academy as a jumpstart to their career and become the most recognized mages in all. I may be in a different course with these mages, but it is guaranteed that magic will take part of my life from now on.

Well, beggars can't be choosers. I will get used to it eventually. I just need four years to stay there until I graduate from my course. Until then, I will live with the mages.