41ST GEAR - I GOT OUTSMARTED BY AN IDIOT

As commanded by her highness and ever-so-useless President Ericka, we focused the next two weeks on studying for the midterms. There were no guild activities at those point in time so we are forced to either go to the library to study or go home to... study. There is no escape.

So I was surprised when Flu suddenly asked me to have a study session for her. It was the end of our Monday classes, and the first thing she did was turn to me and pray.

"Hey, hey, Coach! I mean, Jon! Let's have a study session at your place!" Flu excitedly pumped her fists.

"What has gotten you so worked up in studying?" I asked. "Normally, you would just squeal and go 'I wanna practice! I wanna practice!' but now you're suddenly eager to study?"

"Jeez, are you an idiot?" Flu pouted adorably. The audacity of this idiot calling me an idiot is insane. "Club activities are banned until the end of midterms. We have to pass the exams, or else we cannot join the Regional Speedmage Tournament!"

"Oh, so that's your motive." I rubbed my chin. "Why not have a study circle with your female friends?"

"W-Well..." Flu blushed as she scratched her head. "My friends would be fine by themselves. I'm kind of worried about you because you seem to be always on your own."

That hit the nail on the spot. I have no friends, and Flu was the only one who talks to me in this classroom, so it makes sense that she is worried about me. How thoughtful of her to feel sympathy for a class black sheep like me.

I have always studied on my own ever since I was a child. I never had any experience studying with friends since I do not have any. Having Flu as my study buddy would be a great experience for me.

I was flustered, so I turned away to hide it. I pretended to be looking at the windows and mumbled.

"I-If you really want to study with me, then so be it."

"Awesome!" Flu pumped her fists and her blue eyes are shining! "Let's buy some snacks in the grocery store first before going to your place!"

<>

Right after lunch, we borrowed books from the library and then went to the grocery store to buy some snacks. Flu even loaded our shopping cart with energy and protein drinks. I know Flu can be a little bit sleepy so she will need energy drinks to keep herself wide awake, but I do not know why she bought that many protein drinks. Is she building muscle?

Wait, she's even buying lots of mana and stamina potions! What is she going to do, use magic to make her smarter?

After shopping at the grocery store, we rode the train to the Eastern Sector of the mainland. Just a hundred meters after the Eastern Beachfront was my three-story house. Flu had her jaws hanging and her eyes sparkling when she saw our house.

"Whoa! So this is coach's house!" Flu said.

I led the way and opened the door.

"My parents are always out for work, so I often have this whole house to myself. Feel free to be as noisy as you want."

"Coach! I have a question!" Flu raised her hand while being as loud as she could.

"What is it?"

"Are you born lonely!?"

"I have a little sister, but she's living in a dormitory in a Magus High School."

"That's not what I meant! I mean, are you always this lonely ever since you were born!?" Flu continued to be as loud as she could.