5TH GEAR - THE DESPERATE NEED FOR SPEED

"Please Jonathan, I'm begging you! I don't know anything about Speed Battles, so please teach me what to do!" Fluonessia begged. Right now, she looked like an abandoned pup in the middle of the rain trying to get inside my home.

I looked around the crowd and saw the students itching for a fight. The club members are now preparing the arena for the Speed Battle. Somehow, my eyes met with Captain Tezza, and she smiled at me- not because as a form of a greeting, but a form of a threat.

I somehow heard the other students whisper behind my back.

"Is that Captain Tezza of the Cool Escape Speedmage Club?"

"Is that girl a Speedmage too? Are they having a Speed Battle?"

"This is great!"

There's no escaping this situation for Fluonessia. She'll be sent to the Students Affairs Office at this rate.

"Pleeeease!" A soft voice groaned.

My attention shifted to the pink idiot who was holding my hand the whole time. Fluonessia is giving her abandoned puppy eyes to hypnotize me. I swear, if she doesn't look cute and appears like a damsel in distress right now, I would have abandoned her a few minutes ago.

I made a deep sigh. "Fine."

"Really!? Thank you very much!" Fluonessia suddenly livens up.

I finally stepped up like a man and separated myself from the crowd. Then I raised my hand to capture the attention of Captain Tezza.

"Uh, Miss Captain. I will volunteer as this idiot's navigator if that is okay with you."

"I-Idiot!?" Fluonessia gasped in the background.

"We're conducting a Sudden Death Speed Battle, but okay. Feel free to assist your girlfriend." Captain Tezza nodded.

"G-Girlfriend!?" Fluonessia gasped again.

I just ignored the pink idiot's remark and then moved on. "Fluonessia, you really have no idea how to play this duel, is that right?"

"Not a thing!" Fluonessia shook her head and then smiled as she pumped her fists. "But I'm kind of excited about this!"

"Great. I kind of hope you're excited to see Miss Terror for the second time on your first day. Now, there are two things you need to know. First, a Speed Battle is conducted between two Speedmages, and the player with the most points wins. Second, you can use any spells you know in this match as long as it is not offensive in nature."

"Sounds simple! So how do I score a point?"

"There are two ways to score a point. One way is to touch the Checkpoint Tower. The other way is to strike the enemy from the back."

"S-Strike the enemy!?" Fluonessia gasped. "I-Isn't that dangerous?"

"Don't worry, Speed Battles are conducted by casting a barrier spell to the players before the match. It may be a duel, but it is completely safe. This is not the middle ages, duh." I said.

"Oh, okay. I somehow get it now. I'm so excited to try it!" Fluonessia clenched her fists and pumped them, trying to suppress her emotions.

I can't believe that this girl can convert her fear into excitement. Maybe that's how people like her get the thrill of the battle.

I noticed that the Checkpoint Tower has just been erected by the club members. Captain Tezza is ready to go too, as she is now wearing her Speedmage shoes that sparkle with mana. She stood tall in front of the Checkpoint Tower and talked.