101TH GEAR - DEADLOCK SECOND AMENDMENT

After our match was over, we immediately went backstage to meet with the whole Merry Knights. The moment I opened the door, there was a jumpscare to shock Flu and me.

"Congratulations! You breezed through and made it to the Grand Finals!" Ericka sprinkled out magical snowflakes blinking with all sorts of colors all over the room.

"Uwooooooogh! You are the best, Flu! You are the best Speedmage the Merry Knights, no, the whole Saint Crusade has to offer!!" Cruzo cried out loud as he blew the party horn.

"Tahahaha! Thanks, everyone!" Flu said as she embarrassingly scratched her head. "I think it was just luck, tehehehe~"

"It's not luck, Flu!" Prez tapped the pink-haired superstar's shoulder. "There's no way you can be lucky three times in a row!"

"It's pure talent! And hard work! Don't forget the determination, guts, and love!" Cruzo beamed with a thumbs-up.

"Hey, isn't it too early to celebrate?" I immediately popped their bubble. "There is one fight left, and we should be focusing on the Grand Finals."

"What a party pooper." Ericka pouted.

"Shut it, Useless Prez. I'll treat you all guys to any restaurant after Flu becomes the Speedmage Champion. For now, we have to watch the next Speed Battle and see what happens next." I said.

Ericka gave a short sigh. "Fiiiine."

We four focused on the magical TV screen that shows the Triangle of the Grand Arena. The commentator started to talk.

"We are now live on the second Semifinals of the National Speedmage Tournament. The contenders for this match will be Liri Fontaine of the Saint Crusade Academy and the Speedmage Champion of the Mainland Regional Speedmage Tournament Lilith Nightshade. They both came from the central mainland but did not face off during the last Regionals. And now, whoever will win will have the chance to fight Fluonessia Asahime in the Championship Match!"

The camera pans to the viewing deck. Liri Fontaine's navigator is Captain Tezza Flaschk, while Lilith Nightshade still has his guardian Gaylord Draculus as her navigator. Both navigators and Speedmages are busy setting up their gears and suits.

I can still remember when Captain Tezza and I had a small talk this morning.

<>

30 minutes earlier...

I was on my way to the backstage room to meet with my guild. I have to make sure that Flu is on top shape for her semifinal match, so I brought potions and dry face towels from a nearby magical vending machine. But then I crossed paths with a tall dark-skinned girl with silver eyes and a semi-bald cut.

"Coach Wardenorth." Captain Tezza greeted with a smile.

"Captain Tezza." I immediately wear a smile on my face. "You will be fighting Lilith Nightshade, right?"

"Yeah." Captain Tezza gave a wry bream. "I don't know if it is a blessing or a curse. Liri and I wanted to defeat Lilith, but we had hoped that we could have faced Fluonessia and you in an official tournament."

"Welp, do your best, Captain. I would love to play with you in the finals." I said.

"Honestly, I am not confident enough to face Lilith and Gaylord." Captain Tezza bowed, seemingly losing heart. "It seems like the Speed Battle for today is not our destiny. Liri and I are an underdog here."

I wordlessly keep silent while I clench my fist. In my objective and honest opinion, the performance Liri Fontaine had during the Joint Training Camp seems to be lacking. Lilith and Gaylord had an edge in pure speed, experience, techniques, and tactics. Their chances of winning are slim.