4TH GEAR - WHEN TROUBLE CHASES YOU, YOU CRY

The bell rang from the campus tower, signaling the end of the classes.

It was already afternoon, and the golden setting sunlight flashes on the window. The warmth of the said light gave relief to my classmates, especially to the ever-energetic Fluonessia. She stretched out her arms like a cat who just woke up from a deep slumber.

"Haaaah... The first day is finally over." Fluonessia sighed with relief.

I would say the same, but just inside my head. First days are always not special as most professors would just discuss the same house rules over and over again with some iterations.

Only that terror teacher in our first period made an impression on us. I'll make sure to lay low from now on to avoid getting involved in trouble.

"Ah! What's that!?"

Fluonessia shrieked when she looked at the windows and saw the academy grounds filled with colorful tents and lively booths. There are even small magical fireworks on display, some magical fire dancers, and even mages who showcase their tricks of elemental magic.

"Didn't you hear from our professor earlier?" One of our girl classmates interjected.

"Ah, I was daydreaming and looking at the sky the whole time. Tahahahaha!" Fluonessia laughed like an idiot while scratching her head.

"Geez, you should pay attention more. The senior students of this academy are hosting lots of magical club activities, and freshmen like us are encouraged to join extracurricular activities!"

"Wooow! That sounds awesome!" Fluonessia excitedly pumped her fists. Then she turned to me with her sparkling eyes. "Hey hey, Jonathan! What club would you like to join?"

I was already packing my things when I got involved in their conversation. As I closed my bag, I gave a swift rejection.

"Pass."

"W-Why? Don't you want to have fun club activities?"

"I'm not the kind of person who finds extracurricular work fun. Besides, I'm not a mage, and I don't know magic." I said.

"O-Oh, right." Fluonessia frowned and bit her lip. She bowed down apologetically. "I'm sorry for being too presumptuous."

"You don't need to apologize. Just don't lump me with mages like you. I cannot do what you can."

I immediately exited the classroom and went on my way.

<>

As I walk towards the corridors, the feeling of jealousy loomed in my heart. Everything I had in this school had something to do with magic, and here I am the only normal, weak, fragile human being. I won't deny that I envy mages like every other people in this academy, but these lingering emotions I have makes me want to hate them more.

Heck, I'm even contemplating dropping out of this academy.

I gave a deep sigh, and then put my hand on my forehead. "What am I thinking?" I muttered.

It was a bad sign that I was already thinking of quitting on the very first day. I know it's just a sudden burst of emotion, so I might need to calm down a bit. I decided to turn around and go downstairs to the cafeteria.

Everything in this world is controlled by magic. One of those examples is the magical vending machine right in front of me. It is powered by magical stones that are handcrafted by talented earth mages. With just a slot of a coin and a press of a button, the magical stones power up the machine and drop the desired drink of my choice, which is a canned iced tea.