61ST GEAR - FLUONESSIA'S ROUTE

"Uwuuuuu... That hurts, Jonathaaaan..."

Flu rubbed her reddish aching forehead as she wept. She is legit crying right now with tears flowing out of her eyes. She sat down on the fine white sand and protected her head like an armadillo.

I know I just hit a cute girl with a book, so sue me! I don't care! I am still angry right now and I'm suppressing all these emotions by clenching my fists!

"You... You stupid idiot!" I roared out loud.

This time, my tears sprinkled all the way. I will not deny that I am now crying as well!

"E-Eh?" Flu uttered. "A-Are you crying, Coach!?"

"You can't just pull out from your promise! You made an oath that you would become a Speedmage Champion for me! You are the reason why I joined Merry Knights! So fight for it until the end!"

"B-But..." Flu sulked as she put her hand on the white sand floor. She clawed a handful of those white grains and squeezed. "I am a failure. A no-good loser like me will never be a Speedmage Champion. There are many more Speedmages who can grant that promise to you."

"You're the one I want! It has to be you!" I cried out loud.

A gentle breeze from the ocean skies brushed upon us two. Fluonessia's long pink hair was swept by the soft wind, and combined with her blushing adorable face and glinting sapphire eyes that is bluer than the big blue sea, she looked like a picturesque painting of a fallen goddess.

I blushed too. I felt like I just made the most cringe confession in my entire life, not that I have ever confessed my love anyway. And it was not a confession at all, it is just a declaration that I want to forge her into the ultimate Speedmage Champion. I can't blame her if she takes it the wrong way.

I saw raindrops falling to the ground. No, it was Fluonessia's tears. She held her chest tight and bowed down. Her shoulders shook with each sob as tears rolled down her face in a steady stream. Her soft voice came out a little hoarse.

"Jonathan... Why do you trust me this much?" Flu's voice was soft and weak.

"Because you have what it takes to become the Speedmage Champion. It's not just me who can see that. Prez, Cruzo, Miss Terror, Captain Tezza, and even Vincent... They know that you are a genius."

Flu shook her head. "No. You are wrong. I am not a genius at all. I have lost a lot of Speed Battles already. From Prez, from Vincent, and from Lilith. I am just a crying, sulking, weak, and no-good girl."

"If you're not a genius, then I will make a genius out of you then," I said as I genuflected and peeked at her face.

Her eyes are red and puffy while crying, and her reddish cheeks are glistening with moisture as she wept. I projected a smile in the hopes that she might be infected by it.

"Yesterday's losers are tomorrow's winners. It doesn't matter if you lose a lot of Speed Battles. You just needed to win one tournament, and all those losses will vanish and people will forget. Being a champion is not a matter of talent, or hard work, or luck. It is a matter of destiny."

"C-Coach..." Flu's sapphire eyes glittered with a tiny ember of hope. She slowly raised her hand and took mine.

"You have been offering your hand ever since we first met. This time, I am offering mine, and I want you to trust me. This will be your route. I will make you a Speedmage Champion."

I dragged her up and we finally stood side by side looking at the horizon where the afternoon sunset made its exit. Flu wiped away the tears from her eyes and she finally went back to her usual smile.