28TH GEAR - USELESS PREZ

"Whyyyyyyyy! Why do I have to wear this even at this jogging session? Whyyyyyy!"

This is the second day of the joint training camp, and we are on our early-day jogging routine. Waves of students jog around the hectares-wide perimeter without using magic. It's a start of a usual day for a usual morning routine, but Ericka's tantrums are echoing around the area.

Ericka is wearing a huge nametag hung on her neck that perfectly describes her stature and personality: "USELESS PREZ". As punishment for last night's croquette incident, she is forced to wear that huge tag until the joint training camp is over.

"This is too humiliating! I am the president of Merry Knights and the younger sister of the legendary mage Comette Azure! Why do I have to deal with this shameful punishment!?" Ericka wept as she jogged.

"Prez, just be thankful that your punishment is not worse than that. You almost killed fifty students, fifty-two if you included me and Flu. Normally, you would be delivered to your demonic sister in the Students Affairs Office. Captain Tezza is merciful enough to get you off the hook by doing a silly punishment." Cruzo forced a smile as he tried to reason out.

"Shut up, Panda!" Ericka roared. "All my life I've been avoiding humiliation, and here I am, wearing this nametag!"

"Deal with it, Prez," I said soft enough so that she wouldn't hear. I'm trying hard not to tease her because she might throw icicle spears at me again.

I looked at Flu who is unusually silent right now. The reason she's silent is that she is running while dozing off. We practiced up until two in the dawn last night, so it is given that she will be sleepy for this day. But still, jogging while sleeping seems kind of dangerous.

"Flu?" I tried to get her attention.

"Zzzzzz."

"Flu?" I slowed down and tapped her shoulder.

"Aaah! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I did not eat the potato chips, I swear!" Flu shrieked.

I just raised my eyebrow and stared at her. What is she talking about? Potato chips? Is she dreaming about eating one? Wait, is she the reason I'm missing one snack in my bag?

"Ah, Tahahaha!" Flu scratched her head and laughed. "I'm sorry, my mind is flying with the potato chips."

"Are you okay? You can sit out of this day's training if you're not feeling well." I said.

"Don't worry about me, I'm completely fine, Coach!" Flu pumped her fist as she went back to her usual full of energy. "I am looking forward to this day's practice!"

"Okay, but don't overwork yourself," I said. "You already trained enough last night."

"Yes, Coach!" Flu smiled brightly.

I changed to a curious stern look at her and then asked a vital question. "Hey, what was about the potato chips?"

"Ah, well..." Flu started to sweat non-stop. She pumped her fists and then channeled her energy. "Uwoogh! I love jogging! I'm gonna run twice as fast now!"

"You didn't sneak on my bag last night and grabbed my wasabi-flavored chips during our night practice, did you?" I asked.

"Tahahaha!" Flu scratched her head again, and now she was sweating like waterfalls. "Wind Accel!"

"Wait!"

Swoosh! Flu overtook the crowd of trainees just to escape!

"I-I'm soooooryyy!" Flu cried.

Welp, it's not even my potato chips in the first place. It was Cruzo's. I stole it from his stash last night when he was busily snoring out loud. I don't feel bad about Flu stealing it because I stole it in the first place. I'll just keep my mouth shut.