64TH GEAR - I THINK WE BOTH HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE

Thirteen years ago, during one specific sunset, we heard an explosion.

The pink-haired girl and I were there at the park when that happened. Our parents have yet to fetch us from the playground, and we two are just busy playing. The crows flew away, and the dark orange tint of the surroundings made it an eerie scene.

"Awoooooooooo!" It was a howl of a wolf, but it was loud enough to sting our eardrums.

"Aaah! Too noisy!" The pink-haired girl cried as she covered her ears. For some reason, the howl is hurting more on the pink-haired girl than mine.

Bam!

I heard another explosion. And another. And another. For each crashing sound, it felt that the ground is trembling. And it is getting closer to us.

"Awoooooooooooooooooo!" This time, the howling is much closer to us.

Chills went down my spine that night. I knew immediately that we should get away before the wolf-sounding monster gets to us.

"Let's run!" I immediately grabbed the wrist of the pink-haired girl who did not resist at all.

I also took the winged flame sword with me just in case the monster chases us. I thought that I might activate my magical abilities if I ever faced the monster. But of course, my first decision was to run away.

We went to the deep forest, running over bushes and slopes. We just heard a metal clanging sound that sounded like it was smashed to pieces. That was probably the playground gates. If we stayed there back then, we might have been caught.

"Awoooooooooooooo!" The howling is still loud and close. Now I can hear the sound of the galloping footsteps of the monster.

"Kyaaaaaa!" The pink-haired girl covered her head and curled up on a nearby dark oakwood tree. "I'm scared! Please save me, Mommy!"

"Ssshhhh! Don't be too loud!" I tried to silence her.

"Waaaaah! Please save me!" The pink-haired girl continued to wail.

All of a sudden...

The sound of the gallops faded. I swear it was just behind us before the noise completely disappeared.

I saw the pink-haired girl's face go pale. Her blue eyes stared in shock as she looked behind me.

A warm sticky fluid dropped to my hair, and then to my shoulders.

When I turned around, I saw the monster.

Red eyes that glow in the moonlit darkness. Sharp black fur that looks like those of bears. Huge two-meter-tall dark body with wide-clawed arms and hind legs. Long tails haired to the tip that resemble those of a dog. And a face that is similar to a dire wolf, with canine teeth ready to kill its prey.

"Grrrrrr!"

The werewolf is just behind me. It gnarled and glared at me with the intent to kill!

"Kyaaaaaaaah!" The pink-haired girl cried but stayed in a curled position. She is too scared to move her feet and run away.

But my fight-or-flight adrenaline kicked in. The monster is just in front of me, and I have the sword of Flame Wing Man in my hand! If I run, the pink-haired girl will be eaten! I should be her knight in shining armor and man up! If I win, I live! If I lose, I die! I will fight until the enemy is destroyed!

"Raaaaaaaaah!" I cried out loud as I swung the Winged Flame Sword towards the werewolf, in the hope that my adrenaline and the desperateness of the situation and that my magical powers will be awakened like those in the anime!