54TH GEAR - HOW TO OUTSMART AN OUTSMARTING

"Haaaah..." 

I did a big sigh as I put on the telepathic headset. I want to calm myself in this situation but the noisy ambulance siren makes it impossible. Even if the audience is silent, even if the people here on the viewing stage did not utter a word, I still feel like I'm in a mess.

"Will Prez be okay?" Flu asked through the mic with a worried tone. She was already at the 1st Checkpoint Tower with her opponent Amaryllis Vosconovitc, just waiting for the referee to come back.

"She will be fine. Cruzo said that it was just a regular Tuesday for Prez to puke out that much." I said as I looked from behind.

An ambulance and some medical spellcasters were tending to Ericka's needs. Cruzo is also there talking with the healers. Soon after, they decided that Ericka need not be delivered to the hospital, so they just sent Prez to the infirmary tent outside the arena.

I'm not worried about Ericka. I'm more worried about the reputation of this godforsaken cursed guild. We are on an unlucky streak today: Flu waking up late, I got electrocuted, and Ericka puking out on live TV to our shame. What's next, Cruzo will get diarrhea?

I shook my head to regain my focus. I have to set my mind on the Speed Battle at hand. I talked to my Speedmage through the mic.

"Flu, focus on the match. Your opponent is Amaryllis Vosconovitc, a Striker Class Speedmage. She beat Cruzo on the first round, so be wary of her water spells."

Flu clapped her cheeks and then smiled with determination. "Got it, Coach!"

Suddenly, I heard the blonde rich girl's opponent speak right beside Flu.

"Wohohohoho! What a shame for your guild and your school! Your president must have seen me as a force to be reckoned with, and she puked out of hopelessness! She knew you can never beat me! Wohohoho!" Amaryllis laughed like a real villainess.

Flu just gave the opponent a determined gaze and a smile devoid of despair. "Let's have a good match, Ms. Vosconovitc! I will avenge Sir Cruzo!"

"Oh, you mean that fat panda I beat in the first round? Wohohoho! You will get your revenge... in your dreams!"

That sheltered rich girl is starting to get on my nerves...

The referee finally went to the 1st Checkpoint Tower, readied his whistle, and raised his hand. Amaryllis' trash-talking stopped, but she has this confident smirk on her face.

"We will now proceed with the third match for this day." The referee said. "On your marks... Get set... Go!"

Fweeeeeeet!

"Wind Accel!" Flu had a good head start as she managed to activate her speed spell a millisecond earlier! Pink wind contrails followed around her as she rush towards the 2nd Checkpoint Tower!

"Water Accel!" Amaryllis stood still and she let her water magic drive her towards the 2nd Checkpoint Tower like a motorboat!

Since Counter Speedmages have greater average speeds than Striker Speedmages, Flu is taking the lead! After a few seconds, the pink-haired Speedmage closed into the 2nd Checkpoint Tower and touched it!

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia, at 1:0!

"Keep it up, Flu! Try going as far as you can and wait for the ambush!" I said.

"Yes, Coach!" Flu excitedly replied.

While Flu is already racing to get to the 3rd Checkpoint Tower, Amaryllis managed to approach the 2nd Checkpoint Tower and then she touched it!