96TH GEAR - A MYSTERY SELFISH REQUEST

"Abyssal Speed Death Battles?" I tilted my head. It's quite a handful to pronounce, and I have no idea about that thing especially since he just said it occurred five hundred years ago.

"Abyssal Speed Death Battles are those soul-gambling activities where the Speedmages compete, to win a contract with a demon," Ericka said.

"That's... kinda dark," I muttered.

"It is true, at least five hundred years ago. The empires of the world have banned it, and now it is considered taboo. Nobody knows how it is conducted nowadays, so it has now been lost in time." Levi said.

"What will they gain from making a contract with a demon?" I asked.

"Anything. Power, money, wealth, you name it. The demons will grant you anything as long as you win against a fellow Speedmage who wishes to have a contract with them." Ericka said.

"However, there is a catch," Levi interjected. "The loser of the Abyssal Speed Death Battle will suffer a fate worse than death. They will be expunged and their soul will be trapped in the Abyss for eternity."

"T-That's horrible." Flu cried as she put her hands on her beating chest.

"That is why nobody is doing the contract with the demons anymore for more than 500 years. This scroll predates the worldwide ban on the Abyssal Speed Death Battles, so I suspect this is more than five hundred years old." Levi said.

If that life-threatening Speed Battle happened more than five hundred years ago, that just means Lilith is immortal as she does not age that much as regular humans. She will also be put above normal mages. She has a vampiric eye, so maybe she is a blood-sucking immortal just like his navigator Count Gaylord Draculus.

"Wait, what about Gaylord Draculus?" I interposed a question.

"According to the records, Gaylord Draculus adopted the young Lilith Nightshade 432 years ago when he got out of prison due to the imperial pardon. From then on, Gaylord Draculus trained Lilith Nightshade to become an absolute nightmare in Speed Battles." Levi said.

"So Gaylord and Lilith only had each other. Lilith became the inspiration and daughter of Gaylord, and Gaylord became the mentor and guardian of Lilith. That explains the extraordinary trust between these two." Ericka said as she crossed her arm.

"That's right, Useless Prez," Levi said.

<>

Practice for this day ended one hour early, or should I say, we only extended one hour. It's quite complicated, so let me explain. You see, Flu is always eager for practice that she often extends it for two hours. Today, Flu was slightly demotivated, so we only had an overtime practice of one hour.

The revelation about Lilith's past must have shocked her so much that she's not feeling that motivated in practice. I can easily read Flu like a book, so I decided to ask her for a date after the practice to cheer her up. 

It is already snowing so we switched to our winter sweaters and jeans. Flu is exceedingly cute and sexy in her dark fitted sweaters and skinny jeans that I wanted to take her home already, but I have to raise her mood first.

We decided to stop by a fancy pasta restaurant and ordered some meals. I got myself a tonkatsu ramen and Flu got a plate of veggie pasta as part of her diet routine. As our meals are already on the table, I started to slurp on the hot ramen.

"Uwuuuuu..." Flu uttered.

"What is it, Flu?" I asked.

"It's unfair that you get to eat the delicious meal, and I cannot." Flu cried.