44TH GEAR - FLASH STEPS AND ICE SLIDES

Golden white contrails were left by Locke as she boosted forward with extraordinary speed! Although she is a little bit slower than most average Speedsters, she is fast enough to leave Ericka in the dust!

"Ice Accel!" Ericka boosted forward with sky-blue contrails, leaving snowflakes and ice terrain on the field.

"Come on, Useless Prez! Step up!" I scolded through the mic.

"Aaargh! Stop ruining my concentration!" Ericka complained.

I am indeed ruining her concentration. I have learned from Cruzo that Ericka might focus too much, and that focus leads to pressure. If she gets too much pressure, she will puke. I have to distract her mind into thinking that this is just a friendly Speed Battle even though this might be one of the most important races of her career.

Just when Locke was about a hundred meters away from the 2nd Checkpoint Tower, I heard Vincent beside me mutter.

"Do it."

"Flash Step." Locke kicked the ground, and then she almost teleported towards the 2nd Checkpoint Tower! She immediately touched it!

Beep!

Point for Locke, at 0:1!

I was mesmerized by the speed spell Locke just did. Her Flash Step is much more refined than Flu, which gives away that she has practiced it a lot. It was also precise and concise, like those Speedmages in world tournaments.

After touching the 2nd Checkpoint Tower, Locke used her Photon Accel to run towards the next checkpoint!

"Hey, Useless Prez! You're getting left behind!"

"I know!" Ericka groaned.

"After getting the 2nd Checkpoint Tower, yield and go to the line between the third and the first! Forget about the 3rd Checkpoint Tower!" I said.

"Huh!? Why would I give her the 3rd Checkpoint Tower!?" Ericka complained.

"If my hypothesis is correct, you would not be able to block her on the next line. There's something strange about that girl." I muttered.

"You are underestimating me, aren't you?" Ericka groaned.

"Yes, because you're useless." I made a smart-aleck remark.

There were about a few seconds of silence between us. Ericka has managed to close in the 2nd Checkpoint Tower and then touched it!

Beep!

Point for Ericka, now tied at 1:1!

"Now go guard the 1st Checkpoint Tower!" I said.

"Hmph! Fine!"

Ericka obeyed as she circled the 2nd Checkpoint Tower to secure a speed momentum and went back to the 1st Checkpoint Tower!

While Prez is on the way, Locke is already one hundred meters away from the 3rd Checkpoint Tower! I saw Vincent having this poker face while hearing him say "You know the drill."

"Flash Step," Locke said in a monotone, and then she dashed at lightspeed!

Her precision is top-notch as she was able to stop right in front of the 3rd Checkpoint Tower! All she had to do is to touch it to score a point!

Beep!

Locke is now in the lead once again with a score of 1:2!

The real Speed Battle begins now. Locke has no choice but to go against Ericka who is guarding the 1st Checkpoint Tower. Since Locke is a Speedster, her only way of scoring is to get past the Ice President.