6TH GEAR - ESCAPING THE EYE OF THE STORM

Have you ever been scared of a cute, kind girl?

I kind of am, and I am talking about the pink-haired idiot Fluonessia at this point. She said she is just a newbie mage with no experience in Speed Battles, and I don't doubt that. She doesn't just appear to be clueless, she is clueless.

But her growth in the duel is quite terrifying, not to mention her spectacular display of mana. She just copied Captain Tezza's spell and made her version, for the very first time, and now she is nailing it!

Swoosh!

Green and blue streaks clash on the school grounds. The green wind contrails come from the inexperienced Fluonessia, while the blue lightning streaks come from Captain Tezza. Every time Fluonessia attempt to outspeed her opponent, Captain Tezza will intercept her and deflect her off!

One minute remaining, and Fluonessia has yet to score the point. Striking Captain Lightning's back is not an option given her speed, experience, and overall stats, so our only hope is to touch the checkpoint tower!

"Try to outmaneuver her and use some feints!" I said through the mic.

"Yes!"

Fluonessia rushed towards the right, but Captain Tezza was there to intercept her! This time, she did not pursue her assault. She spun and went towards the left!

"You won't beat me with an old-school technique like that!" Captain Tezza shouted as she immediately went in front of Fluonessia! With a single flick of her hand, the pink-haired girl was launched into the air!

"Gyah!" Fluonessia was sent backward because of the magical recoil.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

I heard several pants on my headphones before I received an answer from the pink-haired girl.

"I-I'm fine. This is challenging. She is not giving any openings."

I looked at the clock. Ten seconds left before the opponent attacks. The time is too short to move, and Fluonessia is still catching her breath. Her movements are beginning to turn sluggish, so it will be wise for her to rest for a while. I did not give any orders to her until the ten seconds ran out.

"Beep beep. Your five minutes are up!" Captain Tezza smiled as she set to her running position. "Since you failed to reach the checkpoint tower, I will now attack!"

Lightning streaks sparked from Captain Tezza's shoes as she surged towards the panting Fluonessia. But instead of going straight for the kill, Captain Tezza circled the pink-haired girl. The captain was spinning around so fast that only the lightning contrails are the only ones we can see on her!

"Behold my finishing move! Lightning Whirlpool!"

Lightning sparks shrouded Fluonessia. She is now cornered in the center of the eye of the storm, and there is no way to escape!

"J-Jonathan!? W-What should I do!?" Fluonessia asked with a hint of being scared in her voice.

I have seen Lightning Whirlpool several times on national TV. It was an intermediate spell for Speedmages to finish the fight by caging them inside the eye of the storm. But every spell has its weakness.

If I remember correctly, we just have to time it right. Escaping Lightning Whirlpool is hard, but not impossible. We just have to press on and move forward!

I counted the number of rotations Captain Tezza did in a mere second. Four rotations. That means every 0.25 seconds, she passes through Fluonessia's front. It's not a fast Lightning Whirlpool, but it's not slow either.